best detector

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Resto

best detector

Postby Resto » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi what would be the best gold detector for a beginner under $1000 new or used?

Thanks Adam

Philski

Re: best detector

Postby Philski » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:44 am

Hi Resto

The minelab 705 / 70 with 6 inch 18.75 will find small 1 gram -2 gram nuggets like we get in tassie up to a foot down easily. There is one on gum tree today for $500. They are light weight, robust, waterproof coils to 0.5 meters and proven gold finders. Smallest nugget i have found with one was 0.35 grams.

Whites GMT is another proven and affordable gold detector.

i have seen a few second hand minelab SD2000's recently for under $1000. They are better on big gold. And, where responsible for the major electronic gold rush in the 1980's when lots and lots of big nuggets got found. Another $500 to get it modded would be a potent machine today. the 2200 v2 was better at the small stuff.

garrett also make decent all purpose detectors. Garrett Infinium. ace etc The ATX is still in the $XXXX department.

Fisher Gold Bug will also detect gold. i havent used one and from what i have seen will get shallow gold pretty much any detector would find.

failing all that and if you can save for a while the Minelab SDC 2300 is the bees knees at the moment. Waterproof, easy to use and is finding more gold than any other machine Australia wide for under $3000. The price of a second hand one is $2500 - $2800. 2 oz of gold and its paid for.

Resto

Postby Resto » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi Thanks for the info, i did have a look on gumtree at a few but really have no idea the differences and whats good and whats not.
Cheers Adam

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi adam. next time we have a trip out or if your anyplace near Sheffield you should try and come and i can lend you mine and im sure others would let you try there machines too. Pretty much any detector is capable of detecting gold if its close enough to the coil. I like features like being able to use it underwater etc. and Minelab i love because they are world leaders in what they do.

have a great night
Phillip

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 pm

HI again Adam, sorry,, if i had to recommend one single detector under $1000 it would be the minelab x terra 705 with the minelab 18.75 6 inch coil. <$700 for the detector and another $200 or less for the coil. Its better than the x terra 70. And ive found more with it than anything i have ever used in a shorter space of time. Over $1000 the SDC out surpasses the ATX however, both have found much gold. hopefully things go that way, Fully waterproof, usb enabled, GPS, simple, and robust etc.

I personally spend more on coils than the detector and not all coils are any good.

The 705 is also multi purpose and a very accurate detector on gold / treasure / relic to a foot deep or more. i have dug 2 foot down targets but only of oxidized iron tools, shovel heads, Picks etc

3 gram nugget at 14 inches. A 5000 will go deeper and smaller.. But many many 5000 owners also have an x terra to back it up.

It is amazing on coins as well to a foot down and gold down to half a split pea size at 4 inches or so. im a bit deaf so only dig screamers. and would have to miss many small bits, but hey. i can tell what an object is "feel the geometry of the target" so its very instinctive to use its also one of the lightest metal detectors out there, that actually finds gold. Mine has paid for itself a couple of times over in a couple of months

Resto

Postby Resto » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Philski, i was just looking at some detectors and noticed you could get a 705"gold pack" for $850 new and delivered, which made me think it may be a better way to go than an older second hand detector. And was actually going to ask your opinion but you beat me to it!
I would love to join a expedition if possible to lean a few things and see how its done, i live in Launceston but wouldnt mind a drive.
Thanks again for sharing some knowledge.
Cheers Adam

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:19 am

Hi Adam, The elliptical coil you get with the gold pack is rubbish in my opinion. Only 2 good minelab x terra coils for it are the 18.75 10.5 inch and 18.75 6 inch. I have used them all except a couple of low frequency ones. The 3kHz 6 inch coiltek i got last month, is already for sale, i am that unimpressed with it. But the 15 inch 18.75 coiltek is awesome. same maker, different outcomes. Ive tried 3 of the ellipticals in the past to make sure it wasnt just a faulty coil.

"gold pack" $500
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/deer-par ... 1068654737

i had a 70 for a few years before and i instantly started finding targets at better depth and clarity with the 705, the 70 had missed.

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:02 pm

the $500 705 above is still for sale. i just asked.

Resto

Postby Resto » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks, ill look into it.
Cheers
Adam

Resto

Postby Resto » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Well I picked up a x-terra 705 today, for $500 locally!!!! like new previous owner only used it twice, has screen cover, carrybag and original box and paperwork. Has the standard 7.5kHz coil, atm. Was just outside playing till the batteries it came with went flat. Got a bit of learning and reading to do now.
Cheers Adam.