Website moving to a new server, maintenance

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Website moving to a new server, maintenance

Postby Philski » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi all

The Tasmanian prospecting website has been having issues with the server its all hosted on and i have tried for a couple of weeks to fix the database on my end to no avail. I use a fair bit of room on it with all the sites combined. So will be migrating to a new wizzbang Linux server this week, once everything propagates. It will give it a chance to renew all the code to the most stable and secure etc. And hopefully improve everyone's experience on the site.

It will also take approx 20 hours to migrate it all, so the site will be down for a day.

have a great day
Phillip

Philski

Re: Website moving to a new server, maintenance

Postby Philski » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:43 am

hi all

After 3 days off work i finally managed to get it back on the original server all in one piece. It still has database issues and i will address it as soon as i can. i did manage to get myself banned from a host though so that was fun.

i got a quote from rackspace.com for $3500 per month! on the cloud and almost choked getting some choice expletives out at the sales rep, as fast as i did. For that kind of money, i want a lap dance and free alcohol. they had neither..

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:27 pm

im about to move to a new server and the site could go down at any second. It takes over an hour to download it and another 12 hours to upload it all. but it will be moved and as swiftly as i can.

just letting you know in advance

Phillip

Philski

Postby Philski » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:15 pm

hi all it has taken days to get it to the new server and the site back up. So many issues came up and sorry, i do apologise.

The Tasmanian prospecting website is going to be updated to a new look tonight, and may be down down for as short a time as possible. it has to be done. I managed to get it to go on last night but it fudged up for some reason. And i had to start again. anyway. i am sorry for the site being down so long.

Happy Easter
Phillip

Philski

new duel location cloud server

Postby Philski » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:26 pm

The new duel location cloud server is up and running and we are now hosted in both America and the UK. The site design has also changed to make for a more modern look and to keep up with some of the stunning new website designs about at the moment. Their seems to be no loss of data in the transfer, so a complete transfer i think, a good outcome for everyone. I still have some images to find and upload.

The site is online again and sorry it took so long. If i didnt have to work so many days straight in a remote area, it would have been done weeks ago. sorry,,

Any thoughts on the way the website looks and works for you, is most appreciated.

have a great day
Phillip

Burbury

Postby Burbury » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Looks Great Phil and welcome back. Great your having a fun time in Queenie !!
Cheers Burbury

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:25 am

HI Burbury

Great to have it back online and finally get those errors fixed. Im really happy with how its all looking. i added a new feature tonight that changes the websites font size to small or large so it should hopefully help people with visual impairments etc. Its not a huge improvement, but things like that are important. I also noticed some images have not loaded properly in the forum as well, i will get to them next time im home. and a few other little things need to be changed and improved. Their are 6 templates to play with and i still have stacks of upgrades to do so its even smarter and safer and better. The new server seems to be working just fine, not a single error or database issue at all so far. All images i have access to have been optimized for browser speed and the size on the server etc. It all ads up to make for a better internet experience for everyone. So, we all win.

have a fantastic week
Phillip

ron

Postby ron » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 am

Hi Phil

thanks for knocking the site back into shape & for the many hours needed to do this. It is really tidy & modern. I especially like the instant font sizer great for capturing what you want on the screen. I had spoken to a few guys last week about our inability to login in recent weeks - we are now relieved!!
I called in to see you at the Weldborough Pub last Thursday & was told that you are happy on the other side of the State. Well we'll have to take a raincheck on that catch up.

Cheers mate.
Ron

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:33 am

Hi Ron, im sorry i missed you. Im in geological heaven down here. And a great job that gives me all day to prospect. Ive already traced to hard rock 3 deposits this week. Native Copper, Chalcopyrite and Chromite. The serpentine the Chromite is coming from isnt even mapped at MRT. And ive covered a fair bit of ground right around the town. I have permissions for over 200 square Km around Queenstown in every direction, as of today, Its a huge opportunity and a unique chance while the vegetation is still thin enough to get though. Another 20 years and it will be a struggle. Yesterday, i hit a clearing and looked out and was at shoulder height to Mount Dundas and out in the distance stood Mount Zeehan. Its so beautiful here in such a simple way.

im really happy the way the site is coming along, I still have a few improvements to do once i get home. And it should load faster and be even easier to find in search.

anyway have a great day and fantastic and safe trip.

dug

Postby dug » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:37 am

Great work on the forum Phil. happy hunting.