Lefroy

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

mfdes

Lefroy

Postby mfdes » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:59 am

The fire at Lefroy is all over the news since yesterday, 4 March 2015. I hope everyone who lives there is safe and that no property burns down.
I can't help think, however, that this will clear a lot of the dense tea tree and scrub that covers the area just northwest of town. It is difficult to gauge the affected area from the TFS maps at this stage, and it's still a very fluid situation with high winds that are expected to change direction several times in the next few days. However so far it looks like the fire burnt north of the Curries River dam, and up to Beechford Road near the Pinafore lead. This would have included the area where some rich reefs were found, including Chum, Kitto Chum, Pinafore, Equilla, Perpetual, Golden Zone, Old Comrades, and Recruit, possibly even south to the Golden Era reef area.

Lefroy Fire 05 Mar 2015.png
Lefroy Fire 05 Mar 2015.png (225.4 KiB) Viewed 688 times

Unfortunately the area is absolutely covered in rubbish, having been used as an unofficial tip on and off by the locals for years. Still, perhaps it's worth a detecting trip in a few weeks when the situation has stabilised? Thoughts?

alwayslookin

Re: Lefroy

Postby alwayslookin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I was thinking the same thing. The bush is a bit of a mess but I still hear of a small nugget turning up from time to time. I hope they can get it under control and out. I will probably go over next week for a look and hopefully trip over the next "Hands of Faith" the old fellas missed. Will keep you posted.

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:40 pm

Have been thinking the same thing and will try to have a look around in the next few weeks , may run across some members !

alwayslookin

Postby alwayslookin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Had a trip to Lefroy last Friday with Steely, the fire had cleared quite a bit of ground for detecting NW of town on the Beechford road. As you pass the last house on the left any bush track that turns left for the next half km. will get you to burned out area with old diggings. We didn't find any gold but dug heaps of lead shot and old junk and had a great day out. I know of a few small nuggets that came from the area so there should be a bit still out there for the persistent ones. Good luck

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 pm

4 detectorists from here using sdc's and 5000's spent a full day there last week and also scored zilch ! It's not easy .

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:22 pm

That side of town the deep leads / reefs where 90 foot down. Towards the south east of town up on specimen hill they shallowed out to a few feet from the surface. Its about the only shallow area on the whole field. Perhaps as big as a few suburban house blocks in total, so not a lot of productive land to go over.

South of the town (land o' cakes) had recent high Au soil results but im not sure of grain size. a 1932 government drill report had fine gold from 2 feet to 32 feet. I am not sure of the exact drill location but would imagine land o cakes - west volunteer area. And the volunteer reef on the other side of the main rd was at surface for a km or so. The eastern end of the Volunteer reef looked the most productive to detect to me with pretty good roads in and foot access and the chance of finding specimens. The strike is East-West and parallel to the main road. The other high anomalous area was opposite land of cakes on the volunteer reef.

Any areas with shafts that brought paydirt up to the surface in the burnt out area would be worth a look. Its just such a long way down to the gold that way.

http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominf ... _59_76.pdf

just had a look and it was 80 feet down in the burnt area.

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks for that great info Philski , will be trying again soon .

Rohan

Postby Rohan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:38 pm

If you go into the town centre on big hill road turn right at the main intersection continue onto the gravel road across the bridge around the right hand sweeping corner at this point you are facing the Bridport road travel slow you will find an ill defined track on your right this area was cleared in the last fire and has colour in the surface gravel

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:39 am

HI all.

There is shallow fine gold in recent tertiary alluvial's at lefroy that cut and reworked the old wash. Its a rich field, but deep. Another area that is shallow is the very top of the pinafore lead. its only a few feet of wash at the most and if i was up that way, would be the first place i would hit,, if you can get to it.. The rich pay dirt gets deeper and deeper the further down the hill you go. Perhaps someone could call parks and wildfires to finish the job. I saw a stack of them burning everything they could set fire too recently and they are really good at letting fires get out of control.