advice on on Minelab SD 2000

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Philski

advice on on Minelab SD 2000

Postby Philski » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi all

I just purchased a modified Minelab SD2000 Its an old school PI detector that was apparently not so good on small gold, but great on the big stuff. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using one and their thoughts in them either here or on the mainland?

have a great day
Phillip

Resto

Re: advice on on Minelab SD 2000

Postby Resto » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi Phil, cant help with that. But im still keen to catch up and have a play with my minelab when your home or up this way (Launceston).
Cheers Adam.

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Hey Adam. the SD2000 arrived today and its awesome. I spent the day playing with it in high emi and difficult ground conditions to get a hang of it and play with all the buttons and stuff. Great depth and sensitivity and a well balanced machine, I can swing it all day for sure. Then went on a shopping spree for it tonight and got a nugget finder 17 x 11 inch mono. Commander 11 inch mono. Commander 8 inch mono, and a whopping 25 inch nugget finder mono for a trip to Victoria later this year. Plus the original 11 inch DD and 18 inch dust bin lid Minelab mono coil it came with. Hopefully some of the new coils arrive in time for next weekend and the new signal booster from WA arrives. It has 4 frequencies, sound booster and sensitivity adjustment already and next up is a higher voltage kit and gain control from Ismael Jones plus anything else he can squeeze into it while he has it. All up im very happy and impressed with it as it is. Its been well used, and well looked after.

the coils will all get used and the best ones kept based on their individual attributes and capabilities. The only other things i need are a new patch cable (tatty) and control box cover and perhaps under chin or external speaker? not sure yet, what ever uses the least draw on the battery with the most sound.
$_75.JPG
$_75.JPG (10.2 KiB) Viewed 768 times
2.jpg
image taken from the web for coil size comparison
2.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat May 09, 2015 2:16 am

Hi all, im still waiting for the coils to arrive, but the external link technologies clip, gain, volume, N/R booster box thingy arrived from WA today and its awesome too. I also ordered the new EMI filter from woody in Vic http://detectormods.com/product/56 and will get it juiced up with extra voltage once i get used to using it, to see what improvements it makes. It also got new cables from NT and they are a fantastic company to deal with http://www.vkteksolutions.com and arrived the NEXT DAY, from Darwin to Tasmania ! ,,Amazing. The link technology pack plugs straight into an already modified detector (Barrie Johnston) and i expected it to burst into flames or blow up in my hands, At first i had it in the wrong way round and nothing happened and thought,, o shit,, but anyway, its been good so far. They are pretty hard to use with any EMI around and big coils, so the filter should help with the 25 inch coil on it. The filter works on mono coils only but most that i brought are monos, thankfully... I havent had a chance to swing it on a goldfield in the new configuration till everything arrives, but imagine it will kick deeper than the standard sd2000 by a considerable amount and feels much more stable than it was last Saturday, so that's a great thing.

i will get some images of it and a few "air tests" to see whats it will do. I would still love a 7000 but this will do till then.

Fox

Postby Fox » Sat May 09, 2015 9:10 am

Holy crap Phil! You're going to find yourself digging some mighty deep holes. I hope your targets won't all be horse shoes, picks and broken shovels a metre down. ;) Seriously though, the SD 2000 had a good reputation for finding large nuggets at depth but may struggle a bit to detect anything less than 0.2 of a gram. Looking forward to hearing how it performs.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Sat May 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Awesome Phil, I look forward to hearing about the first giant nugget!

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat May 09, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi Miguel and Fox me too. its being built for the central Victorian fields, so hopefully. If need be the 8 inch coil will pick up the little tackers. Im going to spend a few weeks or a month over there this year. swing eat sleep repeat. kind of trip. Hopefully catch up with the guys on the way back to Tassie for a swing. (Team Tasmania...) But also know it has and is detected heavily and the chances are a million to one.

Did you end up going up North today? the weather was pretty good early in Launceston. But by afternoon, i ended up with 3 jumpers and 2 pairs of trackydacks on. But was warm and toasty mostly, even if a little wet and wind blown. liquid sunshine i like to call it :D

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue May 12, 2015 1:13 am

hi all

The 25 inch nugget finder coil arrived today and i hooked it all up and its a monster. i spoke to woody at detectormods and he told me not to run his booster thought the barrie johnson booster at full bore or i will blow it up. So good advice from him for sure. i only had it set at minimum today and got 2 meters air test on a large target i test every detector on for comparison. The coil has a 2 meter circumference so that may relate somehow? i will test other size coils and chart it later on for reference. If i do pass any large gold at depth though even at minimum setting,, its in trouble, i was getting about one meter with the single mod on. so a substantial improvement.

Geoff at vkteksolutions.com in Darwin is posting another new cable for me and i cant thank him or his services enough. About the cheapest in the country and outstanding product and delivery.

I have left it at home till the filter arrives and will bring it all down the west coast next time to get some practice in and get a better feel for it.. But, in a short space of time, i would have to say its the most powerful detector ive ever owned by a substantial amount, So very happy with it and how it performed.

my next goal is to see how small i can detect with the 8 inch coil on and what sort of depth. and what setting work best for each. I will stick some pics of it up when i get home this weekend..