Huskinson river

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

johnno

Huskinson river

Postby johnno » Sat May 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Phil
Have you tried this area. Am keen to do rugged trips. Also have a Minelab 4500. Met you at Moina on a Rotary trip a couple of years ago. Have had a number of trips into the Lea area.Live in Devonport.

Philski

Re: Huskinson river

Postby Philski » Sat May 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Hi Johnno

There is some good gold to be had up the top of the Huskisson River and John Lynch Creek as well, and its very lightly worked. but is a decent slog in. We tried from Boco a couple of years ago from the east and Murchison highway end and had to stop about 5 km short. The track was in good repair to the HT lines and cut perhaps 20 years ago and is pretty overgrown with tea tree now past it and we didnt have time to walk in so left it. Richard got six or seven ounces out of the Huskisson on a bend perhaps 5 meters above the stream itself with a pan. but again it was just a small stream it was so far up it, so may take a few days to get up and into it. Venture minerals may have put new tracks in since then, but not sure.

My free days are a bit sporadic at the moment but should settle into 5 on 5 off or even longer as winter hits. So will have time, if you want to try up there sometimes. The conditions wont be much fun but still. The best thing about that area is the Bastion Road is relatively new in Tasmania and the old timers, bar a hand full, ever made it into the area. so mostly untouched ground. I dont know anyone that's taken a detector right up there. But there is gold and quite a bit of it in spots. The people i know that have, did it before minelab even started making detectors so quite a while ago . And if we followed the myrtle forests in along the river itself, would make walking in a lot easier.

have a great day
Phillip

pistol

Re: Huskinson river

Postby pistol » Tue May 12, 2015 12:00 am

Hi Phil & Johnno, Thx Phil for the other weekend, we had a great time and look forward to the next one. Sounds great.. I am always keen for a good adventure and would be happy to tag along sometime, would be interested to explore some more rugged terrain and campout etc. Up for anything.. Cheers Pete