Minelab X-Terra 705

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

ratters

Minelab X-Terra 705

Postby ratters » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:15 pm

I finally took the plunge and bought myself a detector, been meaning to do it for ages but now it's happened.

I see a few other members on here have them and they seem quite popular in general so I got the Dual pack with the 2 coils.

I'm hoping to get a chance to swing it this weekend in my parents back paddock, a bit of history being a market garden many years ago and i used to find pre-decimal coins there in the dirt as a kid so I feel confident the first outing should produce some finds :)

I would also love to hear from other 705 users here though in their experiences and advice for using this machine in tassie, im about as green as it gets with detecting so any advice or info given will be taken gratefully! I have watched about all the YouTube videos on the machine I could find so I at least feel confident about switching it on and how to use some of the settings.

Once i have had it out I will post back here hopefully with news that I was successful in finding something!

itassie

Re: Minelab X-Terra 705

Postby itassie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

i'm up in launceston if you want some help and have a day out, got a x terra

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:27 am

Hi ratters, they are a great machine. I have a few spare coils if you ever want a lend of them to test drive. the 6 inch 18dd is my favorite, as is the 15inch.

the best settings i have found is
auto tracking all the time.
2+ for gold.. if you go to say -2 the pull tabs till go from 16 to 14 or even 12 as you back it down. I try and find the one that gives a single number on the junk in parks and the like and you can eliminate the majority of the trash in relic mode. so you have more numbers open than closed. If im after nuggets i block everything over 24 and all the -negatives. Eight is about the norm for our gold but can go as high as 24 on a flat one ounce nugget.

sens 27 in most conditions of an afternoon. i run it full bore in the morning and back it off after 2pm. EMI i guess,
if you use it without headphones, a set of batteries will last a month. I use Duracell Duralock.

One of the best things about them is its waterproof coils, lightweight and rugged and after a while. you can really feel the target and know what it is before you dig.

daz

Postby daz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Hello to everyone - this is my first post and entry into the world of using a metal detector. I got an OK tax return and approval from the Finance Officer to buy an X-Terra 705, so have been grovelling around in the Tasmanian bush looking for "things of interest" for the past few weekends. I've been to the MRT site to find areas free from MLs and ELs, but wherever I go seems to be pretty well trodden down and quiet except for ring pulls, beer cans and shotgun cartridges.

I did manage to find a 104 year-old Marmite jar. My wife was pretty quick to point out that I didn't need a $900 detector for that.

Starting to get my head around all the options on the 705 with ground balance, discrimination, tracking etc... so thanks for the hints on set-up, Phil, in your earlier post.

One thing I have learnt is how tough the first explorers into Tassie must have been - I have been up some creeks that have taken me an hour to cover 50 metres and have ended up frozen cold, drenched, and covered in cuts and leeches. I take my hat off to those guys.

Hope to see you around.

Daz.

ratters

Postby ratters » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Well I managed to get out and swing the detector in the paddock at the back of my parents place as planned. It was a bit frustrating at first but within about 2hrs I felt way more comfortable with it and started to get to know the machine a lot better. It turns out the paddock is totally full of trash, some areas the machine was going off every square meter!

No special finds, probably the most interesting was a very antique looking dinner fork, and apart from that all manner of junk, chain link, pipe fittings, wire, random bits of metal, drink tabs, cans, foil. It took a while for the penny to drop, I was using pattern 1 with iron discriminated out, but kept finding iron things, until I finally realised, galvanized and plated metals were being detected due to the non ferrous plating. And then I was even happier to discover that in pinpoint mode the discrimination goes off, so all of a sudden I knew exactly what I was dealing with and stopped digging those rubbish targets!

I feel like the next outing I will really hit the ground running, but having said that I'm now quite keen to meet up with some seasoned 705 users and get the low down, so hopefully in the near future I'll be up for a day trip.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi ratters,

I find that flat iron objects that sit in the ground facing the detector tend to sound off like non-iron objects, with my Garrett AT Gold, which is probably fairly similar to the 705.

It took me many many hours with the coil on the ground to get to know my detector, and how to detect in general. I ended up practicing most in parks and ovals, and the modern $1 and $2 coins I found went about 1/2 way to paying off the detector.

Cheers,

Miguel

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:56 am

one of the easiest ways is if it bounces wildly between numbers forget digging it. Any negative is iron either natural or man made, -6 is man made. some rusted targets will hit neg 8 then 24 and go -8 12 4 24, and be all over the shop as they oxidise. Solid Aluminium like $1 coins is 28-30-32. (depending on your noise cancel number) But thin foil can be 16 (ring pulls) 8 30 etc.. again if its is not a constant signal. its most likely rubbish. Solid non changing target numbers are what your after. The only problem i have is lead. It sounds like gold. And projectiles are about the same size as the nuggets we get. So end up digging lots of them.

In saying that some relics are made from more than one type of metal, silver copper etc. after a while you should be able to figure out its shape and guesstimate what it is before digging. That's the benefit of the 6 inch coil. its more precise. you can tell if its a horseshoe 2 foot down or a spoon or a nail a foot down. i spent a few days on the rifle range detecting recently. The brass gave a great copper target signal and you can feel the shell is 2 inch's long and one end is different, the primer end. I only found 40c in modern coins. But now the several rifle clubs mounds are free of sharps. So they benefit more than me. thats a win. (people rolling around on the grass in the same spot, is a potential target to me)

if your coin hunting pattern 2 is awesome on our modern Cu-Ni Australian currency. I always block all the negatives and +48. When you hit a coin you will know it, It gives a stronger sweeter tone, and the target number will remain constant.

The numbers below are running at +2 noise cancel. -2 will give lower numbers than stated below, the ideal is for a single number so it does not bounce between 10-12. for a 10c or 20-22 for a 20c.. it takes practice and now a days i dig everything (on gold fields) . only because more advanced detectors will discriminate ironstone attached to gold.
Attachments
minelab-705-coin-and-relic-id-number-chart.jpeg
image source:http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/265799-new-x-terra-target-id-numbers.html
minelab-705-coin-and-relic-id-number-chart.jpeg (109.62 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

Resto

Postby Resto » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:55 pm

thanks Phil for your help, we all appreciated it.
Really need to get out again soon with my 705, or pans.
Cheers Adam.