Hey all new member :)

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Elpho

Hey all new member :)

Post by Elpho » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Howdy all just thought id give you all a brief introduction and my plans for the future :)

Since a young age I've always been interested in minerals and have gone panning for gold on the odd occasion aswell. Around 8 months ago i joined the Burnie District Lapidary Club and although im quite sick ive still managed to get there abit more recently and have been working on some nice minerals. I've gone one one field trip with the club upto the Calder quarries where i found some nice agates, i've also fossicked around penguin where i found aheap of jasper aswell. I mostly make cabochons of all my specimans and have been given quite a few over the course of my membership and from family and friends. i have lots old petrified wood from lume? river area aswell as a few pieces of petrified man-fern(hoping to start silvermsithing on a cabochon into a necklace for mum for christmas). now i have speciams of amazonite, tiger iron, jade, emuite, coral and many more i cant think of at this time.
Over the last few weeks i've been really studying into prospecting for gold and i believe im suffering from 'gold fever'. In Tasmania i believe most of the gold is alluvial so my thoughts are going towards a fisher gold bug 2 with the 6" coil but ill get the 10" coil aswell for some depth if i need it. Im very sick unfortunately and on a small income with only 15 hours work a week so its going to take me a few months until i get a detector so still studying but it seems like the best option for what i can afford.
looking forward to getting to know you all abit better and be an active member of the community, thats all i can think of for now.

thanks for reading,
Luke Elphinstone

Johnv

Re: Hey all new member :)

Post by Johnv » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:21 am

Hi Luke,
Suggest you don't jump in to a detector until you have spent some time in the field panning. It is very unlikely you will cover any cost. I am sure you could borrow one occasionally if you were very keen to check an area. Most of the gold is very fine alluvial in Tassie. Maybe others could post about their success with detectors here.

alwayslookin

Post by alwayslookin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Hello Elpho,

Glad to hear of your interest in gold and mineral collecting. I don't want to put you off detecting for nuggets in Tassie but there is a lot of dirt between them. We have a lot of gold here but most is like sugar with a few places producing the odd nuggets. Myself and a few others I know of have been to quite a few places in the NE and have found a few small pieces under 3 grams but you will dig a lot of bullets and nails as well. The Goldbug is a VLF machine and will run pretty well in some ground and find very small bits . Unfortunately there is some very mineralized ground which you wont be able to detect in and will need a PI machine which will cost you a few thousand $$$. It is a great way to spend the day but if you are on a budget you will probably not recover the cost of your machine in gold. I find a bit panning and also take my kids to the Weld River for sapphires and topaz which is great fun. I hope this helps a bit and you have a lot of fun no matter what you do. Look at some Youtube videos from "Walnliz" , they do a lot of fossicking around the country.

Good Luck,
Tim

Elpho

Post by Elpho » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:10 am

thanks for the replies, i wont be able to afford a metal detector for a few months atleast so it wont be a rushed decision. i plan on doing a fair bit more panning before then. i chose the Goldbug 2 due to the fact that it should be able to pick up most the small flakey gold, with the 10" coil i'll get some more depth but loose the ability to find the smaller stuff as deep(theirs also an option of getting the 14" coil for even more depth if needed). i always do alot of research before i buy something so I'm yet to really look into the PI detectors and how well they go with the smaller gold. im located out the back of burnie area so the weld river is a fair travel for me but somewhere i plan on going in the future. hoping to have my license early next year i just need to get about 10-15 more hours in.. im not fussed if i dont really cover the costs of the detector as it will just be fun for me, i live out in the country and love being outdoors. i'll look into those videos and keep studying on what detectors other tassie folk use :)

many thanks,
Luke

seanr0

Post by seanr0 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Sdc2300 is the go. I use a goldbug 2 for about 2 months in tassie. Didnt do any good with it 2 many hotrocks. Save up for a sdc2300 get small gold like no other small coil are good for tassie scrub

Elpho

Post by Elpho » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:42 pm

seanr0 wrote:Sdc2300 is the go. I use a goldbug 2 for about 2 months in tassie. Didnt do any good with it 2 many hotrocks. Save up for a sdc2300 get small gold like no other small coil are good for tassie scrub
its a fair bit more expensive would take me half a year to save up for :/, but it does seem quite good and being waterproof is a bonus!.

what ares where you going which had to many hot rocks? like down the west coast? as i plan on doing abit of detecting down there once i get one

seanr0

Post by seanr0 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:41 am

Hot rocks are everywhere more so in certain places. Mineralised ground is also common on the west coast you take a goldbug 2 in to certain places all you will be doing is chasing ground noise. Save for 6 months is my advice

Elpho

Post by Elpho » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:27 am

seanr0 wrote:Hot rocks are everywhere more so in certain places. Mineralised ground is also common on the west coast you take a Goldbug 2 in to certain places all you will be doing is chasing ground noise. Save for 6 months is my advice
after doing a fair bit of research it does seem really good. same capabilities of the gold bug 2 with all the extra benefits!. Also quite a few of the tassie members use it and have luck which is a good indicator. i've never really done lay buy or anything like that but i found a shop on the mainland which costs $3990 not $3600 like the one on ebay but they have flexible finance options which will probably be more again but id be able to get it soon!. so decisions to make on how i'll be able to save or just pay abit extra and get it sooner on a payment plan.

it has many features that would be ideal for me like the portability of the unit, being waterproof as i plan on detecting in running creeks and shallow rivers, the capabilities of the vlf detector with the added bonus of its hybrid like technology so can still be like a PI detector so gain the deph still. also if i ever go to the mainland or that id be able to use this one!

thanks for your recommendations mate

with regards,
Luke Elphinstone