Can anyone help? my new sdc 2300 issue

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Elpho

Can anyone help? my new sdc 2300 issue

Post by Elpho » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:00 pm

Hey all, i got my new minelab sdc 2300 over my christmas break (still paying it off) but i've just had this issue with constant threshold interference.
Ive uploaded a video onto youtube to try and explain the problem better but i'll describe it here also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-iZnJPV5Y4
Whenever im running the detector i've never had it above 2 sensitivity and run it on the 3rd threshold lvl which is just hearable(i usually use the headphones but for the video i ran off the speaker). It occasionally runes smooth with no background noise or little like it should, but 90% of the time it's doing what it does in the video. the threshold constantly goes off upto 5 bars on the threshold even though theirs nothing their nor any item to interfere. I always noise cancel before i start and ive tried doing that on max sensitivity and then lowering afterwards like Nenad@ phase technical recommends to do. the problem will always start back up again quite quickly and you can rarely balance it out. have tried it on bare patches of ground we know theirs absolutely nothing there and it just keeps doing the same thing.
* i know dad is wearing steal caps in the video but that isnt the problem, it always does it regardless and wont set off on the shoes unless alot closer as we tested several times, i don't wear steel caps or any jewellery when prospecting*

any help is greatly appreciated,

Luke

Elpho

Re: Can anyone help? my new sdc 2300 issue

Post by Elpho » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:13 pm

ok i have just gotten a reply from Nenad and he thinks it could be my phone, i have ran it without my phone on me before and it has still done it, but back to testing for me :). really hoping that;s all the issue is!

seanr0

Post by seanr0 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:41 am

Sounds like external interferrence little can be done. Give us a pm if you want to go detecting love my sdc

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi Elpho,

If I turn on my SDC at home or in the garden, it goes crazy with EMI (electro-magnetic interference) from powerlines, wifi signals, etc. It runs much, much quieter in the bush. My phone doesn't seem to interfere if I have it in my shirt pocket, but it does if I wear it in the front pocket of my pants.
Also I can't wear steel-cap boots with the SDC. I constantly detect my boots. I like to have the coil closer to my legs for ergonomic reasons, the further you hold it from yourself, the more tired your arm and shoulder get.

Welcome to the SDC club!

Elpho

Post by Elpho » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:37 pm

thanks for the replies, i just got back down the bush after work to test it without my phone on me with the slightest of improvements. running it on 2 sensitivity would drive you insane after a few mintues, so running it on 1 and its still like a constant threshold movement between 1-2 lights. It doesn't always light up the threshold LED but you can hear that constant rhythm in the threshold. where we live out bush theirs no underground cables anywhere near, nor gas or anything like that so no possible EMI. I'll contact minelab VIA email to start off with and send them the video link and see if they can assist. I'll keep everyone posted with updates!
seanr0 wrote:Sounds like external interferrence little can be done. Give us a pm if you want to go detecting love my sdc
I'd love to go detecting with you sometime, my only downside is i don't have a license but i could get dropped off somewhere to meet you. I live in upper Stowport so if you where going past sometime i could meet down at wivenhoe or something like that. I'll get the detector sorted first as its not much fun how it is

!
mfdes wrote:Hi Elpho,

If I turn on my SDC at home or in the garden, it goes crazy with EMI (electro-magnetic interference) from powerlines, wifi signals, etc. It runs much, much quieter in the bush. My phone doesn't seem to interfere if I have it in my shirt pocket, but it does if I wear it in the front pocket of my pants.
Also I can't wear steel-cap boots with the SDC. I constantly detect my boots. I like to have the coil closer to my legs for ergonomic reasons, the further you hold it from yourself, the more tired your arm and shoulder get.

Welcome to the SDC club!
thanks MFDES im the same i got 2 new pairs of shoes for detecting as i always wear steel caps at work and around home. i like to detect closer to my feet also as holding it out really strains my back and i've got a bad back as it is, so much more comfortable running it closer. hopefully it can get sorted quickly and i can go out to some places where they have actually found gold to go detecting and eventually get my first nugget!. I'd be happy with just some in the pan, but i'd like to get something out of the detector. i've found old lead bullets down the back(my pops brother used to go shooting all the time with the shotgun to feed the grey hounds at my great grandfathers place just up the road) aswell as the tiniest flakes of metal. also ofcourse plenty of trash like old bottle caps, parts of cans and what not. i did find a knock off celta in the river which would be my best find so far before the threshold would drive me crazy and id pack up.

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 am

If you're finding lead shot and tiny bits of metal, then you'd detect gold if you waved your coil over it. The interference might be a problem. Have you got in contact with the seller?

Elpho

Post by Elpho » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:29 pm

mfdes wrote:If you're finding lead shot and tiny bits of metal, then you'd detect gold if you waved your coil over it. The interference might be a problem. Have you got in contact with the seller?
haven't had power for over 2 days so sorry for late reply, i originally contacted seller as bought new from Central west prospecting supplies but the bloke was more interested in his lunch break and just said to send it to Minelab, wasn't even interested in hearing the story. I hadn't gotten around to calling Minelab yet due to no power but they haven't replied to my email so i will first thing Monday.

Yeah when i can get it to balance in-between interference or whatever it is it will find stuff which is good news. the only problem is that the interference usually ends up getting too bad that it becomes barely usable. because no places where gold have been found are very close and i don't have my license its hard for me to really get out anywhere to endure the interference in the hope of finding something. My parents are happy to lend me the money to send it back to minelab which is good!. 3 more weeks and it will be finally paid off :)

sort of off topic but my Nan bought me a piece of opalised wood from a lady who has been touring around Australia for 18 years in a camper detecting and fossicking and she happens to be camping just down the road from me. She's happy to have a chat to me and she recommended Minelab detectors to my nan but she couldn't remember what i got. hoping to catch up with her early next week before she goes touring again. The opalised wood piece was only $1 so great price and a very nice specimen.