Big Tassie nugget on Ebay

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

alwayslookin

Big Tassie nugget on Ebay

Post by alwayslookin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Hello , I was just on ebay drooling over some nuggets and noticed a 7.4 ounce specimen for sale for $12,000 which was supposedly found with a detector in Tasmania. Does anybody know of some lucky bugger cashing in or is somebody blowing smoke to get an extra buck ? I would like to think it came from here, it sure is pretty ! :D

Philski

Re: Big Tassie nugget on Ebay

Post by Philski » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:34 pm

There was a multi ounce Tassie gold nugget found over the New year / Christmas period i didnt get to see the nugget, only the person that found it. i thought he said 11 oz. but must have heard it incorrectly.

great find.

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Awesome!

I'd love for the media to pick it up, if only just so the Director of Mines has to either concede that it IS in fact legal to sell them, or overreach and try to prosecute someone, so we can watch the inevitable judgement that the law does not forbid selling prospected gold.

alwayslookin

Post by alwayslookin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:13 pm

I don't know if it is that big of a deal but it would be nice to know when it was found and if it came from the West or NE.
They find heaps of gold on the mainland and sell it freely. Why would the Mines Dept. care about a few ounces of gold found down here ? I have never heard of anybody having any problems and have never been approached in the field by a MRT representative. I have talked to a fellow who was asked by a MRT employee about buying some nuggets off of him at a gem and mineral show after he showed them to him. With the exception of a lucky few, none of us are going to pay off our detectors with Tassie gold anytime soon so I don't see why the MRT would waste their time on a few dollars worth of gold.
I don't mean to start any arguments but it seems we are crying wolf over the issue. If somebody can clear this up without quoting 3 pages of legal documents it would be greatly appreciated.

Regard,
Alwayslookin

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:24 am

Hi alwayslooking,

I don't know what the big deal is either. Every other State has worked out that it costs more to try and chase prospectors for reports, royalties, etc, than the income it generates. There's two ways to go about it, either you just allow it to happen and bring in the tourism, or you try to suppress it, fearing that you can't control it. It seems that Tassie has chosen the second.

It's an unfortunate situation when the law says one thing, and the Director of Mines another. If you're in doubt as to what MRT's official position on the matter is, take a look at the letter sent to me by the Director of Mines last year, asking about why they tell people that we can't sell nuggets: http://www.appleisleprospector.com/wp-c ... 0Mines.pdf

The official position is pretty clear: "A prospecting licence does not grant any right to a mineral, as an exploration licence or mining lease does, and the holder of a prospecting licence does not have ownership of any mineral found while prospecting. As such, selling a mineral obtained whilst prospecting is not permitted under the MRDA"

My take is that this is a very unfortunate statement from someone who should know better, as the MRDA provides the exact same mechanism for the ownership and sale of minerals for mining leases as it does for prospecting licences. I wrote a fairly wordy post about it a while ago, at : http://www.appleisleprospector.com/who- ... -tasmania/

As a side note, I noticed that the nugget is no longer for sale.

alwayslookin

Post by alwayslookin » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:08 pm

It is a shame that they expect us to pay for a license to go bushwalking with a metal detector and then not let us keep anything. Is gold the only thing they want or are all the crystals and sapphires that people find and sell on the list as well ?
That was a hell of a nugget, the way gold is going up I would cancel the sale as well. Good on him, hope he gets his money out of it.
Cheers,
Tim