Strange X-terra behaviour

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

ratters

Strange X-terra behaviour

Post by ratters » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:49 pm

I recently was visiting some relatives who have just moved into a new house which happens to be quite old (1800s) and they were happy for me to do some detecting around and see what turned up. Problem was, as soon as my coil neared the ground, I got an instant OL (overload). It's a large property with old established gardens, horse paddocks etc and no matter where I went the same thing happened. There was no inbetween, it went from no reading to OL as soon as the coil got to about 1-2" off the ground.

I spent ages playing with ground balance and other settings, changed the coil a few times, did some air tests which were fine.

The only thing we could think of was that there are a few 3-phase power cables running under the ground in certain places but surely this couldn't affect the entire grounds of the property? Or that the soil is so heavily mineralised that it just couldn't cope, but that seems strange its good dark brown farming soil with lush grass on it.

I actually suspected the detector had a fault and was preparing to contact Minelab about it but as soon as I tried it elsewhere it was totally fine.

Anyone have any ideas or similar experience? It will be a real shame if I can't detect around this place, its surely holding a few interesting relics.

Philski

Re: Strange X-terra behaviour

Post by Philski » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:19 pm

hi

The only time that happens to me is on the volcanic (Basalt) northern beach in the transition between wet sand and dry. Perhaps the ground is too wet. It could be a natural spring under it keeping it wet.

if i get overloads like on main beach in devonport say. i do a mode factory preset. Then beachmode, then auto tracking, then cancel out -2 -4 -6 -8 and also +2 +48

leave the sensitivity down at 16 and its as quiet as anything.
im happy to lend you my machine to see if yours has a problem too.

the other thing is time of day. early morning is best, and around lunch time. after 3pm,, emi become a problem (on my machine at least)
mode-factory-preset-minelab-xterra-705.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ratters

Post by ratters » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:27 pm

I wasn't aware of the Mode Factory Preset as you have shown above there, thanks for that. Next time I am visiting out that way I will try again and see if I can get the detector actually running on that ground. I'm fairly happy that it isn't faulty now, I had a session with it in a back yard the day after and got a whole load of various rubbish and a 5c coin with the detector operating normally.

Philski

Post by Philski » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:29 am

HI Ratters

There is also another sequence that tests all the LCD lights and functions on the detector. That is a bit of fun.
Turn your detector off, hold the negative and positive buttons down at the same time and turn the machine on.

it will go through a start up sequence and visually test all your machines symbols and bars are working correctly.
Turn the detector off when it completes.

I forgot too, i also block +4 in heavy going areas. Its below anything good like pre decimal and modern coins or precious metals, so you won't miss anything set to block that high. And you can then adjust noise cancel to get a solid response on a set number as well if your targeting coins, so it stays on 30 ($1 and $2) and not jumps 30 32 or 28 30. Any target that jumps about and goes from 8 - 30 - 16 - 24 etc is junk.

That is for treasure only, on gold i run it as high as it will go in prospecting mode. And only flip back to relic to see what the target is.