Hi all from the deep south.

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Wolfy

Hi all from the deep south.

Post by Wolfy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:51 am

Wow, what a great resource to find, thanks to Those who created this forum. I have just returned to my birthplace in Tassy after a working life away in Victoria and overseas in Thailand. Guess i am semi retired here now, more by misfortune tgan by design, and keen to follow my love of fly fishing and develop my new found fascination for prospecting and panning. Im very keen to soak up as much as i can from this forum and eteemed members. I am in Port Huon south of Hobart, and curious if there is anybody with experience finding any gold in them there hills beyond me? Or is it all west and north east?

mfdes

Re: Hi all from the deep south.

Post by mfdes » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Welcome Wolfy,

There's gold in the area, but only tiny amounts and hardly worth bothering with. The Esperance, Lune and D'Entrecasteaux all carry some gold, that I can think of, but more at the curiosity level, if that makes sense.
The Cygnet area had some more important workings up to the 1930s depressing, and the few places that aren't private property are worth a look, such as Forsters Rivulet and nearby bays. Have a look at: http://www.appleisleprospector.com/cygnet-gold/ (apologies for blowing my own trumpet).
If you want to actually find some, though, I'd definitely head out west or north.

Cheers!

Miguel

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:09 pm

Yep i read all that already, but thanks for the heads up. Just thinking it would be good to get out and practice some skills close to home, would be nice to see some colour, whatever it is. Its just hard to do if you KNOW there is NOTHING there. Will def be heading west asap too. Cant wait to strike it rich (lol)

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:08 am

Just be mindful of the saying: "If you want to make a small fortune prospecting for gold, you better start off with a LARGE fortune!" :-)