Garrett AT Gold????

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Wolfy

Garrett AT Gold????

Post by Wolfy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi all, for my first general knock around relic, coin, beach (dry sand) and possible gold detecting machine, i am considering a second hand AT Gold. I know it is not a salt/wet sand friendly machine. Can you help me please, is this a wise choice for Tassy soil? I want to get going without the big spend, and accept that later i may need to add something like the SDC 2300 so often recommended for Tassy conditions. Perhaps later the AT and the 2300 might make a good arsenal together to cover all conditions? I just missed out on an xterra 705, so no idea which would have been better for me. So basically i am asking if this AT will be a waste of money for our high mineral contents? Thanks in advance.

mfdes

Re: Garrett AT Gold????

Post by mfdes » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:50 am

Hi Wolfy,

I have an AT Gold and I've used it heaps. It's great for coins and relics, only so-so for gold. Most Tasmanian gold localities are too mineralised for it.
That said, it was a great learning machine and I'd definitely recommend it. But I never found any gold until I upgraded to a pulse-induction detector.

Cheers!

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:29 pm

Fair enough. Do you think the minelab xterra 705 dual pack would be a better all rounder? Then go for a PI later?

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:35 pm

It depends what you want it for. I have kept mine but I only use it for coins and relics, and for that an AT-Pro or similar would be better. I think it was a good starting machine, and it tought me to really learn to listen, which can take a long time.
I think the 705 and the AT series are pretty much equivalent.
Essentially what I did with mine is used it for a year for coin shooting, with occasional unsuccessful trips for gold. After about a year I'd paid it off in spendables and silver predecimals I'd found, and I bought a gold-only machine (SDC).
It really depends on your budget. A metal detector is an expensive toy, and you very much get what you pay for.

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks. Today i ordered a 705 dual pack and a bunch of extras. Appreciate your advice, i think this package will get me well started. I will be panning and sluicing a few rivers as well to see if i can find some colour, and later on i hope to get an sdc2300 if things go well. In the meantime, i will be here scrounging info and help!