New to Tasmania

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

GlenB

New to Tasmania

Post by GlenB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Guys and Girls,

My name is Glen and i have just moved down to Tasmania. I'm currently learning about smelting and prospecting. I intend to set up a hobby smelter and rock grinder. I have a serious back injury so can't do too much in regards to heavy lifting / bending so i'll only be doing small loads once i get started. I seem to have moved to a great location for my interest being Rosebery. The reason i have joined this internet group is to hopefully learn about others and post my own progress in my chosen hobby. I'am hopefully going to be quite active once i get set up. Any feedback or questions are most welcome.

Regards,

Glen.

Dave79

Re: New to Tasmania

Post by Dave79 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 pm

G'day Glen, that sounds like a pretty interesting hobby. Would love to hear whats involved and the gear you use. Should be plenty of ore to be had in your area. Check out the MRT web site. The map viewer will show you all the mineral occurrences in your area if you go to 'add layer' then click on the green + button next to mineral occurrences. Click a symbol on the map then 'details' for a bit more info. Good luck.
Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one always gets away!

junkhunter

Post by junkhunter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Gday Glen , welcome ! Will be interested to see any photo's of your work , i recently started polishing a few stones and quickly learned i need to be very hard in choosing suitable specimens .

GlenB

Post by GlenB » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 pm

I'll clean up the shed tomorrow and post some photo's so you can see my clean slate. I'll also post the equipment i'm looking at buying in case you guys and girls have any recommendations/alternatives.

Cheers,

Glen.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 am

Welcome too Tassie