Could some one tell me what these are

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

blisters

Re: Could some one tell me what these are

Postby blisters » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi adzy. If you are out the gardens way, the creek that runs through the BIG dip was supposed to carry some gold in its day. The old gardens loop road runs a little upstream ( the western side) from the present day road either side of the dip. Remember to dig deep to get to the bedrock at the bottom. 8-)

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:02 pm

If it's Duck Creek you're talking about, then make sure to dig only the north side :-)
The south side is a State Reserve and out of bounds. I doubt you'd find much gold there, isn't it all granite? There's only very rare gold in granite in Tassie (Camden, near Scamamder, and on the West Coast). Most of these are right on the contact with another rock type, and the gold was presumably shed from the other rock.

drystone

Postby drystone » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 am

green stone looks like a type of quartzite: often a pale green/grey/milky colour until wet ,then stronger colours appear.
common as an ancient "basement" rocktype, seen more on west and south of state, but pieces occur as erratics in younger and more widespread Permian age sediments.
Glassy black specimen looks like volcanic glass (!) "obsidian", which is uncommon in Tas.
Another possibility is that it is a "tektite" which is exciting: they are pieces of melted rock caused by a meterorite impact and can be found scattered far and wide.
third picture quite blurry, so hard to say, although jasper is a good suggestion
cheers,
Drystone

Adzy84

Postby Adzy84 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:44 am

Thanks for all the info I just bought an old 4wd ute so should be able to explore more. I really want to find a couple of nice gemstones so I can get them cut for the missus be nice to find the gold to lol but I have no experience don't even know we're to look I been out to weldbrough and found nothing

Adzy84

Postby Adzy84 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:00 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Found this today at St. Helens

penguin

Postby penguin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Looks like water worn smoky quartz. Is it the same stone in both photos

Adzy84