Understanding MRT maps Tenement information

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

warrenaw

Understanding MRT maps Tenement information

Postby warrenaw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:54 am

A question for those who know...
Where MRT Maps 'Webdocs' Tenemet 'pending renewal' info shows 'Tenement Renewal' date as something in the past, does that mean that it was supposed to have been renewed on the date shown, and its now 9999 and wasn't renewed on the date stated?
Some examples are RL1/2011 for the LeFroy area, where the final date is mid April '16, and for the largest part of Golconda EL30/2006 is mid June '16.
I'm a little confused. Is it that the MRT mapping info we are looking at isn't updated as frequently as one might think, and these tenements are now released, or that they were renewed on the 'final date'?
Was looking in the 9999 area of LeFroy yesterday, and had a lovely target. Looked like gold, but when I cleaned it up was a relatively fresh, splattered copper coated bullet! What a let-down!
Thanks in advance
Warren

mfdes

Re: Understanding MRT maps Tenement information

Postby mfdes » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Warren,

MRT can take their time processing things like renewals. I've also noticed some that some have expired sometimes over a year ago and are still are pending renewal.

What happens when a tenement is pending renewal? Do you still need permission? It's a good question, the rules are pretty grey. I might try to find out. It seems to me that you wouldn't, but it also seems unfair to be able to go into someone's tenement when it's MRTs fault that it hasn't been processed in time. I draw a distinction in the amount of effort I put chasing permissions depending on the tenement type:

I consider mining leases to be off-limits altogether if you don't have prior permission. The leaseholder pays a lot of money to lease the grounds, and is legally responsible for anything that might happen to you.

In my opinion, exploration licences should not require permission in order to do casual prospecting. Most mainland states have moved to this model. You are still supposed to under our current rules, though, and I always do when I can get hold on the licencees. Often Exploration Licences are held by interstate or overseas companies, and don't respond to requests for permission. A prime example is Grange Resources, locally owned, but they either ignore requests or flat-out refuse access. I spend much less time bothering to chase them if they can't be bothered to reply to me. This is just my own personal opinion.

Retention Licences are kind of in-between. A company (or person) has had an EL and has found an area where they might potentially want to mine, but they maybe don't have the cash flow to pay for a lease. They're allowed to hold the ground under a Retention Licence for some time. IMO one should get permission for these as well (and you are required to by the conditions on your licence)
The areas in brown with 9999 are ERAs (Exploration Release Areas) and are fair game with no permission needed (provided you have a prospecting licence).

What happens if you get caught prospecting without permission? It would depend, but MRT could potentially cancel your prospecting licence. If this happened and you could show that you'd done the right thing (for example asked for permission and been ignored) then you would probably have a good case to bring to the mining tribunal.

Cheers,

Miguel

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks for such a good answer, Miguel. On the same sort of topic, the top area of Back creek (63M/1979) has the following result when you click on it.
(copied and pasted)

ERA Reference ERA9999
Title Northern Tasmania
Area Final area to be determined
Parts Unknown
Status Pending : The area is being processed and may be varied before release

Wonder what 'processed' actually means. I would maybe understand this to be saying that it's yet to be 9999 accessible for we lowly prospecting types. So, maybe even 9999 isn't absolute. It's all very frustrating. If you know who to call in the MRT regarding pending renewal, and get a definite answer, I'm sure it would be wonderful news for all of us. As you say, grey areas abound in our rules for Tasmania. Thanks for your reply so soon.

Interesting too, that on a mining lease, the back of our license (Condition #3) says that we need BOTH the approval of the mining lease entity AND the Director of Mines. I can understand this (sort of) for Subject To An Application, but for a mining lease seems mighty pedantic. You would reckon it should be just up to the holder of said mining lease, since it would be just their problem, and the director of mines would not care about it one way or the other.

It's a funny world.

Cheers
Warren

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 am

Hi Warren,

Any area in ERA (processed or not) is available to prospectors.

The most current rules are at: http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/docume ... 932c487396

Keep in mind if these are different from the ones on the back of your licence, I think the ones on your licence take priority.

On your last point, Condition 3 applies only to mining leases and exploration areas under application (i.e. not yet granted). It's only for these that we have to seek permission from the Director of Mines. I think this is a brand-spanking new hurdle. I'll have to digest that one. Very disappointing, it seemed for a while that MRT were going to get more sensible, not less. Doesn't say anything about renewals.

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Therefore that the whole area of Back Creek is currently ERA9999. Every tenement there, on the MRT map, when you look at the details shows that its more or less the same state as the one referred to in the earlier post.

Being able to freely prospect anywhere there looks like it could be fun.

Thanks for clarifying this, Miguel. Shame about our MRT rules. Simplified rules are always easier to understand and less likely to be misinterpreted, too.

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 pm

Gday Warren , i wouldn't be casual at Back Creek as i can think of two areas there being actively mined at the moment and they might take things seriously . Another lease there is being prospected at the moment and has installed a caretaker with a .270 !

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:09 am

Wow! Looks like MRT is just not updating their maps such as they should. Obviously months and months behind!
One would expect to find that such stuff was right up to date.
I didn't think it was legal to shoot trespassers in Australia these days!
How very sad! Back to the drawing board!

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi Warren,

If you overlay Mining Leases on MRTmap you can see several active mining leases are current. I can certainly see them using my browser.

Miguel

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Wonder what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Google Chrome, and at Back Creek I can see the mining lease/tenements with their tenement names, or titles
63m/1979
2m/2011
8m/2012
48m/1989.
However, when I left click on the names/title, and then look at details, I get the following result every time.
ERA Reference ERA9999
Title Northern Tasmania
Area Final area to be determined
Parts Unknown
Status Pending : The area is being processed and may be varied before release.

Same thing for Lefroy. Tenement 1/2011 shows 9999 when you look for details. Sort of makes sense, because I remember clicking on it a while back, and it showed the tenement expiring on 30 April 2016. Your Marvelous video shows that too, on Tasmanian Prospector.(it's how I learned to use the MRT maps properly).Anyway, in that case, maybe the tenement is expired, or MRT aren't updating things?

If I go to the big commercial mines in the west, and do the same, all the details are there to see ... Owner of the lease, dates, etc, so I'would doubt it's the browser, though nothing is impossible.
Help!!

alwayslookin

Postby alwayslookin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:23 pm

Hello Warren, all of Back Creek is under mining lease and you need permission to do any prospecting there. A few things have gone missing so the lease holders are not as forgiving as in the past. Most of Lefroy is under Exploration lease and you should get permission but the one fellow is impossible to get hold of and doesn't seem to mind people detecting . Good luck