Prospecting trip in WA

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Johnny

Prospecting trip in WA

Postby Johnny » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:23 pm

High all,
My wife and I have just returned home from a prospecting trip in the gold fields of WA.
We enjoyed 13 weeks in the out back with some friends prospecting around the Leonora area.
Leonora has been a very productive gold field over the years. This season was certainly no exception.

We worked both pending and vacant ground as well as some leases we had permission to detect.
Armed with 3 Gpx 5000s and a Gpz 7000 there were not many days that someone didn't find gold.
Mainly sub gram nuggets but occasionally some larger ones, but of course it's more about the hobby than the amount.
If you ever get the opportunity to go, take it. There's a lot of ground to prospect and as they say no one gets all the gold.

Cheers Johnny.

MANINABOAT

Re: Prospecting trip in WA

Postby MANINABOAT » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 pm

Well done John and team. Where the flies friendly. I was born in Kalgoorlie my dad mined there. We spent a lot of time prospecting around Cue Leonora Meekathara, Laverton. WE started in the 1980 and 1990s.. Yes once the crew becomes aware of what the detector is trying to tell you, the coil is raised in the air and waved for you mates to come and look at the find, then the chains go on. No yelling out, might be someone over the rise. After a rain just specking can be fun even out on the dry salt lakes.

Good memories. Regards Dennis

Johnny

Re: Prospecting trip in WA

Postby Johnny » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:50 am

Well Dennis, the flies were much better this year.
There certainly are a lot of people make this annual pilgrimage to the WA gold fields. But the gold is still out there,
And the detectors are improving all the time to find it. I was using a GPX5000 armed with the Coiltec 14" mono elite (a great coil) my largest nugget 29 grams at about 17" deep. But the new GPZ 7000's are really producing good results on all the old detected areas. The SDC 2300 is also a great producer, my wife and I share one for scrapping up the crumbs and I mean crumbs, no mater how small if it's there this machine will find it.

Happy hunting. Cheers Johnny