Lyndhurst gold town

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Dazza

Lyndhurst gold town

Postby Dazza » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Dose any one know anything about the old town that was of Lyndhurst along the road from Bridport heading east,I know the land owner where the town used to be ,the owner said there is only the odd chimney there now it was built on the edge of sheep wash creek ,I'm going to prospect the creek as it would be where they would have to have washed the gold from the gold fields there ,Any info appreciated.

whitehunter

Re: Lyndhurst gold town

Postby whitehunter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Gday Dazza , not sure which landholder you are talking to as the town itself is on 4 owners land . Mines are on 5 owners land . Some alluvial there at the beginning but was initially found by a shepherd who picked up quartz with gold showing . I have found records of at least 2 stampers , one of which was initially situated on Sheepwash Creek but that was to far away { about 2 Kms } so it was moved to one of the mines and mine water was used . There are no Lyndhurst chimneys unfortunately although there is a stone boiler enclosure wall still standing . The boiler from this is on our property at Waterhouse , it was dragged there by a bullock team in the early 1900's to be used as a water tank . 30 years ago some streets where still in evidence along with building foundations and a brick lined well , the landholder of that time decided to clear the land resulting in total destruction . Other land there have a few bricks and stones still extant but thats about it . One of the mines on another property was open including a tunnel and a chimney until about 15 years ago when that was also totally destroyed during land clearing . All in all a bloody disgrace . Lots of reading about Lyndhurst on Trove if you have the time , good luck . Curt .

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Forgot to add , i would be interested to hear if you have any success at Sheepwash as mining reports state that it is too close to the granite belt for gold . The nearest Lyndhurst workings to the Sheepwash found quartz but no gold . There is a very big shaft on our property that is on the Eastern side of the Sheepwash . It has big white quartz showing in the middle of granite country but there is no record of any gold from here . Somebody did a lot of work for nothing !

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks whitehunter,the property I was going on By the looks of it is where sheep wash crosses the old Waterhouse rd ,by google earth it looks like we're all the mines were its now all farm land,might not be worth going there.

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Yep all the mines are on private property . There is only 2 left that have anything to see . The Sheepwash is further out the road , the town was centred on the current junction of the old waterhouse rd. / main waterhouse rd. and blackmans lagoon rd . If your coming up this way anytime give me a shout , i can show you better than i can write ! Curt 0428560455

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:09 am

Thanks Curt,I'd love to catch up with you ,I'll give you a ring Saturday morning,Dazza.

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 am

Make it Sat arvo Dazza , i will be out bush till about 4pm .