'Tis cold and dark...

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

drystone

'Tis cold and dark...

Postby drystone » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi everyone,
pretty quiet on the forum, I guess it reflects the chilly weather and short days: not conducive to hunting the yellow!
I know of a few members who are away interstate or overseas muttering something about "Tassie tans", "warmth", "vitamin D levels" etc, etc, I don't know what they're on about. nothing a spoonful of cement powder wouldn't fix :lol:
Rumour has it that a few hardy souls have still been getting out and about and managing to scratch up some picker-sized pieces in the drier NE of the state, so that is encouraging.
Also something to bear in mind is that the date and location for the next PMAT field trip will be decided soon: most likely in August, so check on their website http://www.pmat.org.au/events/ for details in coming weeks!
Even if you can't be asked getting out to stand in icy creeks or wave a coil over frosty ground, make use of the time to research, research, research your next gold target!
All the best,
Drystone

Dazza

Re: 'Tis cold and dark...

Postby Dazza » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi Drystone,I'm still poking around here and there finding enough to wet my appetite ,wondering if you had any idea we're I would look for old property names from the late 1800s ,This name proberbly have changed by now ,I don't know?

drystone

Postby drystone » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 pm

hi Dazza, glad to hear you're finding the good stuff!
re 1800's place names, well I would think that any of the larger properties would still be the same, often marked on the 1:100K maps, as most of the state was carved up pretty smartly in the early-mid 1800's.
Certainly some very early place names were re-named to help distinguish them more (eg: "9-Mile Springs" became Lefroy) or to conform to British sensibilities (eg "Norfolk Plains" became Longford) and/or please various Governors and heads of state (Macquarie Plains, Mt Victoria etc).
If there is a particular property you seek, I would approach the nearest Historical Society as they enjoy a challenge and also sift thru the Tas Library system via LINC https://www.linc.tas.gov.au/archive-her ... fault.aspx
they have an archive section there. Also the TROVE website has a lot to offer: do some searches for your property/place name and see what you come up with.
hope that helps,
cheers

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Thank you Drystone ,I'll give trove and the tas library system a look and see we're that goes ,thanks Dazza.

drystone

Postby drystone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:19 pm

crevice gold 50%.jpg
trash 50%.jpg
results for 2 gloomy days out in the NE goldfields:
detecting: Nil (well, lead, iron, copper, and a leech)
crevicing: shotty gold and 1 picker (larger piece is 4mm)
how is everyone else doing??

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Which in the photo is the leech?? :D

Was at Salisbury Hill yesterday. Several shotgun pellets, and a nice piece of lead about 15cm deep. Looked very promising for quite a while. Flakes of rust everywhere. I'm not giving up there yet!

Got .35gm from a creek in the west on Tuesday. Tried to go there again on Thursday. Snowing, so we turned around . Curses.

drystone

Postby drystone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 pm

hey Warren,
glad you're getting amongst it!
the leech got a flying lesson hence it's not in the picture.... :)
snow hey? yet another challenge for the hardy prospector!
might have to get a heated coil?!