SDC: what are your settings and why?

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

drystone

SDC: what are your settings and why?

Postby drystone » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi all,
this one is for the SDC crowd: although a simple "switch on and go" machine, there is still a modest range of fine tuning that can be done.
I am still a novice on the machine, but learning more each time out and from reading other forums.
I guess my questions are:
1): headphones or not (I prefer headphones, but hate the cord)
2): what setting? (I usually run on 3, 4+ is a bit chattery most times, however some users prefer 1 or 2)
3): when/if do you ground balance? with the excellence auto tracking, my green button doesn't get used much, but perhaps that should change?
4): EMI and noise cancelling (I usually do it several times before starting off to help settle the machine)
5): threshold: do people have a particular setting, just audible, silent?

Hoping Santa might cough up for a set of wireless headphones and adapter lead but might have to find more yellow to justify it first... :oops:
Of course there is the usual niggles of batteries being loose (electrical tape or thick bandaid around each battery helps) and the coil "knuckle" which can get trashed over time, but it's compact, waterproof, ignores most hot rocks yet is super sensitive, so it really is the machine for Tassie conditions.
over to you!
cheers,
Drystone

penguin

Re: SDC: what are your settings and why?

Postby penguin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi there drystone .
I run mine flat out.
.head phones a must
.threshold on highest setting
.sensitivity as high as it goes
.noise cancel when it gets to chattery, location and time of day will make a difference to noise

This is what I do , it works sometimes.

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 pm

I more or less use the same settings as penguin.
Must make the comment that the headphone connector, while waterproof is a bit fragile where the cord comes out of the plug. It is a great idea to get one of those canvas covers for the body of the thing. Having the cord under that to protect the connection from much of the strain for the inevitable times when it catches up with trees and twigs and so forth.
Another point is that when not using the headphones.. when the wind isn't blowing and there are no people talking around you and there's no water noise from the sea or creeks/rivers, to make sure the rubber cap is over the headphone receptacle to protect it from when you trip or slip and drop the darned thing into the water. Headphone is replaceable easily. Ruined or corroded receptacle and the SDC has to go back to Minelab for repair.
Another comment: My SDC has about 2/3 of the speaker level of Seanr0's . You would think Minelab would make the things with the same volume. Wish mine was louder. Have to use the headphones most of the time.
Cheers, Guys.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi drystone,

I wrote a lengthy answer the other day, and I think I forgot to confirm after the preview screen... oh well.

Anyway, here goes the abridged version again:

1. Headphones 100% (or as the weather allows... they suck in 40 degree heat across the ditch). Most of the gold I've found were super-faint signals for starters
  2. I start on default and increase as I can depending on EMI chatter. Sometimes I can push it to 4. Five is too noisy for me and my ears get fatigued more quickly.
  3. Rarely. Sometimes when I start. Most often when chasing extremely faint signals that get easily tracked out. On noisy ground (rarely encountered).
  4. Rarely. Only if I need to.
  5. I like a threshold of 3. I like a constant hum but not too loud. I have found nuggets where I honestly can't tell you what it was that pulled me over to scratch around and pay more attention to that spot. It wasn't a clear signal and perhaps just a waver in the threshold. In noisy environments with no headphones, the higher the threshold the louder the signals, which can help.

I hope it helps!

Miguel

Johnny

Postby Johnny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi Drystone
I use the wireless set up by Minelab. Witch puts the speaker right up on your shoulder it also gives you limited volume control you can also plug headphones into this really good around creeks and in the thicker bush, not tethered to the detector with cables. Make sure you charge this unit before heading out it does tend to go flat if left for a couple of weeks! I read an article regarding settings ect. noise cancell before starting sit the detector Down with the coil parallel to the ground but raised slightly to get best results. The sdc tracking works very well ground balance doesn't seem as important to me. I tend to run my sensitivity on 3 with headphones and 4 without it can depend on the ground type. These machines tend to chater above 3 you seem to get use to it tho. I also have a set of headphones with volume control on them, volume is important the old ears cop a beating from the constant wine of the sdc. The other way is just use a B&Z booster witch has the volume control on it and forget the wireless unit. A great detector tho and in Tasmania the ability to work in creeks is a bonus
Cheers Johnny