Malachite and other stones at frankford

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Goldeneye

Malachite and other stones at frankford

Postby Goldeneye » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:45 am

Hi I'm new to all this does anyone know were Malachite might be at frankford or any other stones of interest ? I drive through there many times when I'm at work and a lot of the hills show a lot of high mineralization and very old bathsalt I would love to know what's around that location As I have looked it up and found nothing

drystone

Re: Malachite and other stones at frankford

Postby drystone » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:33 pm

hi mate,
when you say the hills "show a lot of high mineralization" what do you mean?
from memory, much of the area has Permian aged sediments (mudstones etc) which are generally good for fossils, but not much else. there is certainly some interesting geology further north with Beaconsfied gold mine and Badger Head - Narawantapu NP(Asbestos Ranges), copper, nickel mostly.
can anyone else give suggestions here?
cheers and keep your eyes open
Drystone

troglodyte

Postby troglodyte » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:50 pm

the malachites just like green paint on the rock not very interesting, found in the coppermine road area

james85

Postby james85 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Bathsalt or basalt?

Goldeneye

Postby Goldeneye » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Beaconsfield is great rubish dumping seems to be getting worse tho going through Frankford I see a lot of change in soil color close together a lot of rich red soil then patches of green with more of a muddy gravel look to it I thought the area might have a bit of basalt not bathsalt sorry lol in it I did some reading and I source said that malachite forms in ancient basalt Not sure if i got all this right ?

Goldeneye

Postby Goldeneye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 pm

My bad I have my info all over the place so malachite is formed when copper interacts with limestone or carbonic water or other chemicals I guess I should look in those kind of places I know mole Creek has a limestone working up behind den road I might check that out plus all of the mole Creek region has loads of things to look for a lot that the mrt website doesn't list which will feel better when I find something lol