Salisbury mine Beaconsfield

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Deanbee522

Salisbury mine Beaconsfield

Postby Deanbee522 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Hello all just wondering if anyone knows where the ore from the adits on the south end of Salisbury hill were taken to be crushed can not find any old stamper or crushers around the area

karl

Re: Salisbury mine Beaconsfield

Postby karl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Good question Deanbee522. The ore may have been taken to Middle Arm near Beaconsfield where there was a big battery in the late 18th century. There are some old concrete bollards below what I think is the Victoria adit on the S.Eastern side of the hill. They may have been footings for winches to haul waste out of the adit.

I was told by an old timer that the town of Salisbury (which was named after an old steam boiler) is now on private property and was bulldozed by the owner. Fair Dinkum :cry: The old feller remembers people living on the hill and prospecting.
The power lines running past possibly the most productive location play havoc with my detector. Have you noticed the orienteering trails in the area? I was in the area today getting firewood from a mates farm. Who knows what secrets the hill holds? :D

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:58 am

If you go into the bush roughly 50 meters on the opposite side of the powerlines from the site marked on the MRT map 'Powerline Adit', there's the footings from something pretty big there as well.
I've cleared dozens and dozens of shotgun pellets from there without finding any gold. Noise from those powerlines makes the SCD setting at more than 1 or 2 futile.
However, if the statewide power grid ever goes out, right next to the powerlines would be a good place to rush and have a proper look. :D

Deanbee522

Postby Deanbee522 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:06 pm

I know what you mean about the shotty pellets everywhere but the area definitely deserves some time spent on it
Middle arm does sound a good spot to treat the ore but in that era expensive to cart. Thanks for the info guy's will have to get the boots out and do sime more walking about

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:49 am

Hi initially the Victoria mine used one of Ishmael Ernest Eldon Salisbury mills to crush the mines quartz. It then went to Jensens battery at Beaconsfield. The Blue Tier field was later named after the same Mr Salisbury who was a foundry owner and foundry machinery manufacturer. He originally came from Castlemaine VIctoria and started up the Salisbury foundry and engineering works in Launceston.
https://goo.gl/maps/xzZ7snrfddu

The area above has several footings spaced for a small stamper and water to run it? or water for the steam engine? Or as stated above it may have been for haulage?
The other side of the power lines South of the alluvial workings shafts and adits was the town of Salisbury itself.

Some really interesting stories about life on that field in its early days. Like the live hand grenade in a pie trick as a welcoming gift for some new chums that just arrived for them to eat. It exploded and Killed quite a few of them.

This is an image of the inside of the Salisbury foundry and engineering works for anyone that's interested. Its quite a substantial works
foundry.png