Another newbie about to get started.

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

PaulG

Another newbie about to get started.

Postby PaulG » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi all.
Just been reading, watching, listening and day dreaming about the world of prospecting and starting to have a look.
No idea though!!
I do know that I’ll keep it simple and just camp out in areas where you are allowed to have a poke around.
So the advice I’m seeking is what step should I take first so as not to break any laws/rules.
I have done some research with the rules around gold but find myself getting a bit confused or maybe a bit overwhelmed by all the info.
It would be great if I could get a solid starting point on this .
Thank you PaulG.

Pocketbuster

Re: Another newbie about to get started.

Postby Pocketbuster » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 pm

To be honnest mate I'm pretty sure as long as you have a fossicking license you can fossick any where unless its private property national parks ect if you get a fossickers license you will get information on where you can and can't fossick you'll also get a little booklet with afew fossicking area locations and maps keep reading about gemstones rocks and minerals igneous rocks sedimentary rocks metamorphic rocks ect maybe even get some mineral books there's plenty of minerals tobe found and oftan there's somthing worth collecting nearby to get you started you just need to know what your looking at where abouts in tassie are you mate?

PaulG

Postby PaulG » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks for replying.
I’m in Warrane but I’m happy to have a look anywhere. I’ve not long purchased a 4wd and am keen as to go camping and have a dig around.
I’ll keep reading people’s posts to get some tips and continue my research about Tasmanian gold. Hopefully I’ll get to post something interesting soon.
Thanks for the info Pocketbuster.

Pocketbuster

Postby Pocketbuster » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Well if you live in warrane over the western side of the river out at Claremont if you go down to Windermere bay when you get into the car park head down the left side of the bay over to the shore line its on the old Claremont primary school side of the bay make sure you go down on low tide probably a good Idea to take boots but you walk down to shoreline you Will go past a square fenced off area with long grass and a pond in it go past that and head over to where the trees start along the shoreline and there is different color rocks all over there but agate is what your looking for there is really nice looking stuff there with exceptional banding there is also carnelian and chalcedony if your unsure of what the rocks look like if you google the names and look at the photos you will soon have a good idea what your looking for I was also told by a very smart man who really knows his stuff that there is killacrankie diamond's (topaz) on mount direction over by risdon brook dam I havent been able to go up there as I left tassie before I had the chance to get up there but when I get back I'll definitely be going up for a look I also recommend you join the Hobart lapidary or Hobart gem club I havent joined the Hobart one but I'm a member of the Gladstone gem club Central Queensland I don't know if its the same down Hobart but up there is a workshop that I can go to on Wednesday and Friday to grind and polish big chuncks on the flat laps now I'm doing Cabochon I done a srone in there tonight petrified wood I'll post a photo tomorrow when I have sanded and polished it they also do faceting classes witch I will be learning next but there is so much to learn I know the hobart one dose prospecting trips with club members witch would be good I think all gem clubs do trips but anyway there's alot to learn and the more you learn the better it gets

digginhard

Postby digginhard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 pm

get a ticket and come see us up here in derby mate.Suns out and the digging has begun so just bring a sieve and a shovel.camp in free derby park next to tennis court.