Mining lease offshore at Doctor's Rocks

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

joshau

Mining lease offshore at Doctor's Rocks

Postby joshau » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi all.
I just noticed on MRT's map that someone, a D. Harris, has applied for a mining lease offshore of Doctor's Rocks.
It seems to run nearly 3KMs along the beach and starts at, I'm guessing low tide, and goes about 1KM out to sea.

The status says its "Application".
The date of the application was the 27th June 2017.
I think that the applicant has 12 months from the date of application to provide all the details to MRT.

I've never been to Doctor's Rocks, although I am planning on going there soon.

I personally think a mining lease there is a shame, as there are very few known gold prospecting areas available to hobbyist prospectors in Tasmania, and mining it will probably destroy it as a prospecting area.

A mining lease will be for the sole benefit of a mining company, at the expense of hobbyist prospectors, local tourism businesses, and the environment.

I've heard lots of stories of people prospecting there, including the ABC report from a few years ago.
Most weekends people seem to be there prospecting - if that stops it will have an impact on tourism businesses in the area.

I also wonder what effect mining that area will have on the local coastal environment.

I thought that PMAT might want to look into it lodging an objection to the lease with MRT, if they agree that this is bad for hobbyist prospectors.

I don't really understand the laws and regulations in regards to a mining lease, etc, but I assume objections can be lodged at any time until it is granted?

In regards to the current status of it, what are the regulations re prospecting inside that area, given it is not yet a mining lease, and it doesn't seem to have an exploration licence on it either?

P.S. I tried to upload a Google Earth screenshot of the lease, both in JPG and PNG formats, via the attachments button, but I kept get a HTTP error each time. Sorry.

tagalong

Re: Mining lease offshore at Doctor's Rocks

Postby tagalong » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 pm

thanks for posting this information joshua
was going there for a look sometime this summer looks like i better get a move along
i agree that the area should be available to people like us that do a bit of prospecting part time,its a pity if its spoilt by mining.
hope something can be done to stop this happening.....regards mark

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm

A company called Placeco had some intention of mining the same area in 1988.
Doctors Rocks.jpg

The spots which are circled had gold from testing in a survey a few years earlier. I assume this is what is proposed to attempt to get now.

I have a PDF from which this map came, but I can't currently find on MRT's website, but I'm sure it came from there.
I can't upload PDF's to this forum. Sorry.
I guess it can't hurt if they stay offshore deeper than the low tide mark, but I tend to agree with the previous comment.
If someone can attach a link to the MRT's original documents, it would clarify what is intended. I assume similar methods would be used.

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm

I wish them well,, but.
The last person to dredge it had very limited success. It was not a cost effective operation and it was run by the best people to try.

PatHogen

Postby PatHogen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Interesting, in a penguin swim path. I wonder how the friends of the penguins are going to react and the Wynyard Shire seeing as they are going all out for the tourist drawcard.

Kezndaz

Postby Kezndaz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Can see the solution
We need to train the Penguins to crevice out the gold
In exchange for some plush penguin dens in the scrub.
:lol:

Kezndaz

Postby Kezndaz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 pm

TRAINING PENGUINS TO INTERACT WITH ENRICHMENT ITEMS FOR LASTING EFFECTS
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6e93/5 ... afce35.pdf