General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

Outnabout

Post by Outnabout » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:53 pm

G,day everyone. I live in Devonport and have just found this forum. I have no experience in prospecting at all. My father used to be a tin miner in the North East many, many years ago and I remember taking the tin bags into Launceston to be assayed in the boot of my old FJ. Now I am thinking of getting a detector to have a look about as I travel quite a lot and do a fair bit of camping. It would give me something to do to fill the day in at some of these sites. I have in mind the MineLab 305 which Leading Edge have for $395. They assure me that it would be a good beginners detector and it falls into the budget. Just. Anyway we will see what Santa has left in his bag.
The outcome of a raindance is dependent upon the timing.....

admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie

Post by admin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 pm

HI

I work in Devonport and have an x-terra too. And we have lots of fantastic people that live in Devonport and prospect too. My mum and family live on a tin field above the Anchor Mine in the North East of Tas. So same sort of background i guess. They are All Miners, but not tin. Our closest cassiterite field would be Dolcoath next to the Lemonthyme Lodge turn off

Prospecting is a fantastic thing to do, You get to go out and explore and walk lots and swing and find stuff that is valuable and rare and its an awesome feeling when you do. Really, Its awesome, It takes you back into our history, even our ancient geological history. And if your a bit lucky and try, you can make substantial money out of it.

anyway, if i can help at all. Please ask. A panning demo, Detector settings. If you want to swap coils etc, inside info,,, Just depends on what you want to target?

have a great night and fantastic Christmas

Kindest Regards
Phillip

Outnabout

Post by Outnabout » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 am

Well Santa came and lo and behold an Xterra 305 was waiting. Now to learn to use it. So far it will take around 350 years to pay for it as all I have found so far is 5 cents after around 30 minutes of searching. Been a bit busy since Xmas but hope to get into it in a couple of weeks.

Happy New year to all.
The outcome of a raindance is dependent upon the timing.....

Trent

Post by Trent » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Outnabout I live in Devonport and have the Xterra-705 gold, the Xterra's are a good machine we have found probably $30 in coins so far as well as old buttons (circa 1800's) pennys and pences and a few other bits and pieces maybe one day when I get some time off we could catch up and have a detect some where.