Doctors Rocks

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

taurusjustin

Re: Doctors Rocks

Postby taurusjustin » Sun May 10, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi I know this is a old thread but is any one still playing around doctors rocks ? As I'm new to all this panning would any one be willing to show me how to pan corecly ? I'd like to try doctors rocks but have no idea where to start as I'm from devonport. Thanks all

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Sun May 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi Justin,
From what I hear Doctors Rocks is quite good at low tide, definitely worth a go. I haven't been there myself, though. Are you the same justin who left me a message? If so, did you get my email? I'm still getting my head around how everything works in the new website. A few members go there, hopefully they can comment with more useful stuff.
Miguel

Philski

Postby Philski » Sun May 10, 2015 11:27 pm

HI all

put this number, including the hyphen - in google maps search bar. https://www.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

-41.007255, 145.781894

if you just google search it,, it comes up in the wrong area.

You need not only a low tide, but the lowest tides under half a meter to get right out into the best gold. Where the pin pointer is...

Thursday the 21st of May at 8.15am. is a 0.4 meter low.
Sunday 7th June at 9.15am is another cracker of a day

The google satellite image was taken at high tide, so you cant really seen the land form below the water. To get into the area easily, turn off the highway on the old coast road and on the right is a parking area, the Northern end of the parking area the fence is down and you cross the rail lines and follow a well defined path to the beach, There looks like a cut out area on your left, that has been cleaned out. The best gold is as far out as you can get, on the lowest tides. And across the face from the cut out area (looks like a swimming pool open at one end) to the ismuth on your right. best time to get there is about 45 min before lowest tide and work in as the water drops. You get about 40 min of ebb tide then it will start to rise. you need to be up to your thighs in water to really get into the deep areas and still be able to get your hands in to move the larger rocks out of the way.

You only need to dig thought the gravels a foot or so and the gold will be on the clay, Not in it, However there are small pockets of older gravels in the clay worth panning for sure. But easiest to stick to the top. you should get gold in every pan, sometimes pickers but mostly flakes and scales.

The Original gold area is on the eastern side of Doctors Rocks. its been worked out, However you can still find a few specs under the ledges with a scraper or piece of wire, etc.
doctors-rocks-tasmania-gold.jpg
doctors-rocks-tasmania-gold.jpg (194.99 KiB) Viewed 702 times

equipment, a pan, a shovel and waders are very handy. and a bucket to save your heavies or concentrates (cons). Or if you don't mind getting wet, a change of clothes, socks and shoes. Stick a rock in the bucket, so its stays put. a baby bath tied to you, also works well.

You can practice panning with some dirt out of your yard and ball point pen balls are made from tungsten and have a similar Specific gravity to gold, lead sinkers, or any iron or steel filings, nails, etc. will do too. If you start seeing black sands in the corner of your pan as you get down, your doing the right thing. (some areas in Tasmania dont have any or very little black sands and only gold will show)

To pan, chuck some gravels in the pan. submerge in water, shake side to side and back and forth with the pan level to drop the heavies to the flat bottom of the pan. Then gently tilt it and shake side to side in quick'ish fashion,. once the gravel starts to tip out, you can swish the top off with water by driving the pan into the water and letting the backwash take the light stuff off the top. remove any large rocks by hand. then shake again to resettle the heavies and tilt again. It normally only takes a few goes to get down to the cons. If you get lumps of clay or sods of earth it pays to rub them to break it up. like rubbing flour and butter together.

Once you get into the nitty gritty, you should see black sands, and the gold will be under it, thats when you only need 1cm of water over it while tilted and gently swirl off the black sands moving them to the back of the pan. Leaving you with gold clearly visible if any is present up the top. To clean it up i use, back wash and tap. its the fastest method at cleanup and gives the best results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cbiiohp5bQ

at Doctors rocks because time is short. just get down to cons and bucket them. And pan the cons at home or back up on the beach as the tide comes in.
failing all that i should be back on the North coast again in a weeks time. Or can try and catch up tomorrow morning before i go back down to the West Coast.

The best thing is the rising sea level will make it almost impossible for anyone to get into the area very, very soon. apparently. So your doing your eco bit by saving what you can, while you can. And, by taking things out of the ocean we are actually lowering its level, and you are saving the world in the process! Eco prospecting at its finest, right here in Tasmania!

Night
Phillip

steely

Postby steely » Mon May 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Thank's for that info Phil. What about a day trip? anyone out there interest ?

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue May 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Thats a great idea, The winter is fast approaching and some warmish water to play in would be a good thing.

Its a great place for the kids to get a bit of gold too. There is Osmiridium to be had as well and ive been meaning to get myself some more to analyse to see if its chemically compatible to the Osmiridium at Bald hill. If it is,, it would prove the Gold and Osmiridium to be found at doctors rocks was pushed down hill by the massive 80km wide glacier, that hugged the Arthur lineament and not came uphill from the sea as is popularly believed. So could end up quite an important day.

i will post some good tide times in trips away tonight when i get back. i guess the weekends suit most people?

taurusjustin

Postby taurusjustin » Wed May 13, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks Phil awesome info you the one on info, the trip sounds good I'll be keeping my eye out for dates and times and I don't mind getting wet if its fun lol

steely

Postby steely » Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 am

i guess it's next saturday 9 am , as seen on metal detecting trips page.
I have still got room for one. cheers.

taurusjustin

Postby taurusjustin » Sun May 17, 2015 8:58 am

Yea the tide is at 0.9 low at 4:27pm ? Today but I'm still taking my kids thru today to give them some fun trying there luck. But if the weather turns bad its still a good day out.

crawf

Postby crawf » Sun May 24, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi all, Managed to get out to Doctors rocks today for the first time, pretty much threw a rock out there and thats where i started digging'...had a chat to a couple of others doing the same, Taurisjustin good to meet you, half a bucket of cons with a few pickers deemed it a successful morning out in the fresh air. Just wondering what sort of success others have there any info would be appreciated ...cheers

taurusjustin

Postby taurusjustin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 am

I went back to doctors rocks last weekend only found a few flakes but theain thing is the fence that was down has now been re erected and trees cut and dragged on to the path to try and block people from using the path we may need to use the gate/walking path to the beach in future .