Doctors Rocks

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

admin
Site Admin

Re: Doctors Rocks

Postby admin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 pm

My first pan was in the sand under the first layer, at the bottom of a hole. i Just moved the bigger rocks out of the way and dug a spade full. Then hit clay, then a band of the golden brown stuff in the clay and bingo. The pan had approx 15th of a gram or a grain of gold after the mornings run. but i lost at least that again when i puddled the grey clay later on. silly me, " i need a snuffer bottle". But did see a speck of gold stuck on the grey clay as i put it in. The other dark coloured stuff is like an iron blow and looks like iron but isnt magnetic and would have to derive from the cemented conglomerates in the area. Next time i go i will get specimens of each and examine them better when i get home.

I also found the further out to sea. the better for me But it may have just been a time factor against the rising tide. Zip at the mid tide area. Did a bit of crevicing on the rocks and zip again. But it wasnt a clean sample either so cant say for sure

Im home looking at wave motions and earth science more than what i found today, and you know how the channels that have been dug at doctors rocks predominatly run perpendicular to the coast? Thats called a Groyne and helps sand accumulate, not get removed. Im also keen as mustard to get a bit more of this Platinum group metal and get it analysed. its heavier than gold. Not magnetic, dull grey shiney and looks just like osmiridium. i can not find any mention of it in any report, even the MRT osmiridium book. There would not be a Stich "pun" of Serpentine in the area i would think?

anyway, had a wicked day and am tempted to go back tomorrow.

loverr

Postby loverr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:46 pm

let me know when your going down next mate

jack

Postby jack » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:57 pm

I live a few minutes, literally up the road from DR rocks, me and a mate went out with detectors a few months back with no luck, will now try the gold pan idea, i new to panning so not expecting much luck

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi jack

i had a couple of signals with the x terra 70 set to just pick up Gold 8-10-12 in the bottom of some of the holes. its difficult going with all the bounce and local mineralization. Some of the gold found yesterday would easily be able to be found with a GPX5000, if they make a waterproof coil for it? that is?

I used and the other chap that works it had a turbopan. The normal gold pan will work just as well but isnt as fast, imo. You only need to dig a short way down and low tide is the best time as far out as you can get. A set of waders helps you stay dry and the water in the cove is actually quite warm and a long handled shovel helps too. plus a sieve to classify.

I didnt have any luck at the high and mid tide marks, but only spent 15min or so looking with the detector so not a good comparison

jack

Postby jack » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:42 pm

ok are you on the burnie side or the wynyard side of DR rock? i assuming the burnie side as that is more of a reef.
Any tips/advice on how to go about panning the area would be great, i going also hit it with AT Pro and 5x8dd coil but tomorrow at 10am hit it with garrett pan as well.
I never panned, so will be interesting, got some waders as well.

jack

Postby jack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:24 pm

that pin is not on DR rocks, is on a beach wynyard side. is in the suburb of DR rocks but not the peninsula bit, so i must have been in wrong spot, so go through gate then where pin is, will try.

jack

Postby jack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:16 pm

i tried for a year to find gold in WA, so i can happily call myself a useless gold hunter, but this has fired up my gold fever again.

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi Jack its the second point after Doctors rocks on the Wynyard side of it. The real Doctors rocks just around the corner was the original Goldfield. the way in is through the low shrubbery across the road from the modern looking blue house. The path is on the right hand side of the low shrubs just across the train line and low mesh fence. The Original Doctors Rocks was worked out in the 1930's. "i was told"

Some say the Gold comes in from the sea and i have heard it many times. But, the mineral assemblage i found the other day, including Gold suggests it was transported there by a glacier and originated 50km+ away. The glaciers western edge ran up the side of the already upright Arthur Lineament and finished at Doctors rocks / Wynyard area... cool huh.

Gold has key signatures that will prove one way or the other if im right or wrong. I just need a bit more material from both locations to send off to the University to get analysed. One mineral that twigged me, at Doctors rocks, only occurs miles away and its also on the Eastern edge of the lineament and in the direct path of the glacier.

it wont improve the gold prospects one inch, but historically and scientifically its important.

jack

Postby jack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks Phil, now the other question, any old coins? penny, threepence etc found ? wondering where the 1876 chinese camp site at Dr Rocks was.

loverr

Postby loverr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey jack, you should be able to find a couple little specs :)