Doctors Rocks

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

admin
Site Admin

Re: Doctors Rocks

Postby admin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi jack

at a guess they where leaving the inglis river with pockets full of gold poor buggers. Or arriving? you would have to be pretty unlucky to even hit doctors rocks. Perhaps the long spit to the west?

There is another one over the north east, Union Brig 1852 with recorded gold from Victoria never recovered. The Captain took the life raft and left the women. 80 pounds of gold. i dont know if that's the Weight or Value? it was about 2 pound sterling an oz at the time. so 40 ounces of Gold at the least.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:52 pm

sorry i somehow read ship wreck. They had a camp? i didnt know? Clader and Inglis and the Lyons camps i have read about but never visited. At the time we would have had tokens and proclamation coins mostly for currency. Someone found the last Holy Dollar here in Tasmania, they go for $30k+ today in good fine condition. So always worth looking out for. Its amazing how much a fine coin or key date can be worth too,
even decimal is worth an astonishing amount.

I collect decimal mostly, only last night i managed to get 1970 1971 1972 1 cent rolls so now i have every 1 cent in rolls. so 40 unc sets. and most of the 2c. a 1968 2c roll went for $4200 on ebay a month ago. $250 for a slabbed 1c piece. amazing huh..

i will keep an eye out for the camp though.

loverr

Postby loverr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:54 pm

admin,how deep down do you think the gold goes to? and would it be larger in size the further down?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 am

i tried to sample as i went down, i found it on top of the clay, a thin layer of golden gritty sands. then another layer of the golden stuff in the grey. Then some black decomposed Tillite? i easily lost more gold puddling the grey clay than i found, But, was in a hurry with the tide and stuff. i will take 3 buckets next time and get samples of each coloured clay to puddle at home and have look at. I read an analysis on the clays today too. and they are not derived from kaolonite (china clay) in basalts or gibsite (in bauxite) They are def glacial. the grey one is

The chap we spoke to said someone had dug past the clay layer and hit another rocky layer. but didnt say anything about values, It stands to reason it would be on the bottom with all the swishing back and forth. But again was found by both myself and Lee on the top,

loverr

Postby loverr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:16 pm

cheers mate, i might go down on the weekend and take some home to put through the little sluice, and dig down into the clay and see what i get !

BattleBudgy

Postby BattleBudgy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:54 am

Hi all, I've been thinking of checking out Doctors rocks for a few years but never really got around to it.

What is the gold like? any pickers/nuggets? or is it all just really small stuff? I'm only asking because I have a hookah dive setup and a near new submersible metal detector (Fisher 1280-x) I've never used and was thinking of taking it out for a swim.

keepdigging

Postby keepdigging » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:53 am

aaaaaaaaaa

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 am

Hi BattleBudgy

You would be better set up than most with what you have. I used my waterproof detector coil and set to just find gold and got strong signals and no false targets or bouncy noises. The hardest part is the tide. So, if you can be in it.. great! i had trouble digging the target in the ocean, with all the swishy back and forth action but its new to me too. its not quite the same as a creeks constant downhill action.

im going to be up there every afternoon till the tide stops me this week. Im after more material to analyse. and a bit of gold of course.
The headland has what looks like a good trap, but was too deep for me to test. you would be in your element with an underwater detector for sure.

Kindest Regards
Phillip

jack

Postby jack » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:09 am

Got a nice tiny bit of Gold yesterday at DR Rocks, going to try there a few more times this week and some creeks/rivers around Wynyard.

Trent

Postby Trent » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Went there today with the family for the first time got 9 pieces very happy kids and we were stoked aswell. Ran into Render there he was a great help. Then ABC radio came down and interviewed us, great day cant wait togo back :D