Black sands

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

alwayslookin

Re: Black sands

Post by alwayslookin » Sat May 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Hello,
I am a newbie and enjoy reading the forum. If your mate was looking for Tassie iron ore, they used to have a smelter at Redbill Point outside of Beaconsfield back in the 1880's. I think the ore came from Mt. Vulcan. I was looking for the old town of of Leonardsburg, which serviced the mine, to do a bit of detecting. I found it and the dirt is red and you can't put the detector down because it overloads, so it must be iron ore. There is a web site about the Tamar Valley Industrial Heritage on www.qvmag.tas.gov.au which I stumbled on which is a pretty good read. I think the ore was pretty good.
Hope this helps, Good Luck

John

Post by John » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Any luck finding gold with the detector around the beaconsfield area?

alwayslookin

Post by alwayslookin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Did a bit of detecting on the hill up behind the hospital several years back. Bottle caps and nails were in abundance. Lefroy has a lot of trash about but is worth a look. I've never been to Back Creek but I hear there has been a few bits found. South of Lefroy in the Den range is worth a look as well. I haven't found any gold with the detector but a lot of crushed quartz around , there should be something there. Good Luck !