Home made sluice

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

poig

Home made sluice

Post by poig » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to prospecting and didn't want to spend too much money straight up on equipment, so I made a sluice I wanted to share with others. I made it out of scraps laying around home so it cost next to nothing and it seems to work quite well.
I put 2 bucket fulls of raw material through it a few weeks ago and narrowed it down to a handful with plenty of black sand. I panned what I had today and found around 40 small flakes so it appears to be working but I'm not sure how to tell if I am losing anything out the other end?
I used about 1m length of corrugated black pipe? Sealed the small holes with a sealer and screwed it onto a piece of timber. Then I found an old traffic cone and cut it into a funnel shape and screwed it at the front.
Anyway here is a picture in case anyone else wanted to do something similar maybe. Regards, Dan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kaner

Re: Home made sluice

Post by kaner » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:50 am

Gday mate
The easiest way to tell if you are loosing any gold is to collect some of your tailings and pan them periodically, every sluice looses some gold,
clean your sluice as soon as it nears full which could be every couple of buckets.Be warned sluicing is addictive.40 specs sounds like your on the money.