Australian Gold Panning Championships in Tasmania

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Australian Gold Panning Championships in Tasmania

Postby Philski » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:50 am

Hi all

im thinking we can get the Australian gold panning championships down here in Tasmania!
Firstly, i think we would be in with a decent shot to win it. And, secondly the whole State would benefit.
what do you think?

Have a great Night
Phillip

Philski

Re: Australian Gold Panning Championships in Tasmania

Postby Philski » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:01 am

Not one to wait,,, i sent a letter to the Hon Jeff Kennett tonight to see if he can assist and hopefully host the event at Queenstown. They already have gold tables at Lynchford and the town could do with a boost more than any other in the entire country..

goldsniffer

Postby goldsniffer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:30 am

Sounds good Philemon lm in :)

Philski

Postby Philski » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey Dan. I emailed Jeff Kennett last night and am trying to use the WCWR (ABT railway) Lynchford station as the venue down that way. They have gold tables set up already and would be a perfect venue.

I will get onto miners den and pmav tomorrow and see if this event can be a satellite event, to the Australian gold panning championships. Its the fastest way. Failing that and if they say no, they will have two Australian gold championships and this one will have a insanely huge cash and gold prize extravaganza! And, chooo choo rides. and, the other wont.

The event "Tasmanian Gold Panning Championship" is on the 1st, 2nd and or 3rd of November this year. Its the closest Public holiday - Long weekend. Northern Recreation day i can get. I gives me a couple of months to get promotional stuff, permissions and legal issues sorted. insurance etc. Ive contacted the West coast wilderness railway for permissions at Lynchford and perhaps transport on the abt railway/ :)

All money raised goes straight back into Queenstown via local local groups on the ground that will do good for the town both immediately and in the long run. Jeff Kennett is actually doing some awesome things that really benefit people across the country and he has a genuine interest in Queenstown. So hopefully he can advise or assist as well.

drystone

Postby drystone » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:15 pm

good work Philski!
Could be a winner for the West Coast 8-)
Drystone

mids0n

Postby mids0n » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:20 am

hey guys just browsing some old post. im curious how this event turned out? i wish i'd been into prospecting back then. i wouldve been there with bells and whistles!
Brendan

blisters

Postby blisters » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:07 pm

yeah. I don't think it was held down here, but it would be an awesome event to be held here!

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:00 am

We could always organise another one at a PMAT event perhaps? And invite the public to join in. It may be a good way to increase participation and raise public awareness, as well as a bit of fun.

I was going to hold the event at the Lynchford train station. Because, they have all the infrastructure in place for a gold panning competition, undercover, insurances etc. And, it would have been a benefit to Queenstown. accommodation, publicity and food sales etc. And at the time. That part of the state needed the most help.

They had so many setbacks and are still going. Remarkable people down there.

mids0n

Postby mids0n » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Last night i slept in my ute at the boomgate and had every intention of prospecting the creeks on the hill up behind the train station but for some reason when i woke up decided to drive toward mount darwin and swing the sdc in the creeks near there instead. Regretting it now because i came up with nada. So keen to find something detecting but about 1000 pieces of rubbish is all ive found so far :(

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Behind the QR hotel. Which was on the other side of the river at Lynchford. That bridge today was also used as a bridge over the Queen River to the Princess river mine. A Mount Lyell railway ABT worker called Tonks dug a 2 oz 18 inches from the surface. Its was not the Hill behind the panning station itself but a little further down. Unless, the Queen River Hotel was a little further down than the photo i have of it suggests. More than possible. There is a nice clearing further down <50m on flat land. Princess is third track up. A ridge of wash dirt next to the Princess river track itself and it looks like there has been some past activity in that area.
lynchford.png

There was another instance of 8 ounces from the hill / ridge.

and this again on the Queen River flat
lynchford-flats.png

princess track.png