Underwater Crevice gadget, Gold sniping

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Underwater Crevice gadget, Gold sniping

Postby Philski » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 am

Hi all

I found a thumbnail sized gold nugget a few weeks ago and had a look with an empty clear plastic bottle while it was still under water. Its remarkable seeing gold in its place of rest in the stream environment. And for me, getting the gold out from underwater has always been really difficult. Like if you detect something in a stream, its darn hard to dig it up, while its underwater.

Anyway, there has to be a better way. i thought, lets make a gadget that fixes that. And went shopping. All the electrickery and other bits arrived this week and its working a treat. unbelievably good. It is as long as my arm and lets me see underwater. Right into small cracks and crevices and retrieve nuggets and flakes, whatever, without getting wet.

It has an awesome camera with USB upload, (it can talk to the computer) adjustable image magnification and adjustable lights so i can see in the dark. With a custom made grabber arm that fits beautifully into small crevices. 1mm or so wide and could be made smaller if needed.

Im going to test it out as soon as i get a day off and if successful, i will post the results.

have a great day
Phillip

whitehunter

Re: Underwater Crevice gadget, Gold sniping

Postby whitehunter » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Sounds like you may need to take out a patent on that Phil . Nice work finding that nugget .

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:16 pm

HI

i did a video with it today on a nugget and will test it out tomorrow in the field.
http://youtu.be/QVHJk8p6W20

it will also see and pick up sub gram pickers. 0.05 gram.

i also built a kick arse underwater viewer today for under $10,, lots of light in, 2x magnification 1 meter of depth and not only cheaper than anyone else, its simply better at looking for gold. you need at least 50mm to let enough light in. Your eyes accommodation works with light far better than with the dark you get in those little toy underwater hydroscopes. And this will make it more affordable for all. free even if you have the parts..

have a great weekend
Phillip

drystone

Postby drystone » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi Philski,
I would like to give one of your gadgets a go: with stream levels low, and fine weather about, I'm keen to get crevicing!
Any info would be appreciated. If you've made a couple to sell, then let me know.
cheers,
Drystone

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Drystone, you can borrow this one for as long as you need. Im heading to Derby early tomorrow morning to buy a minelab SDC 2300 for a chap on the mainland so can drop it off for you anyplace between Sheffield and Derby tomorrow if that helps.

I only made it to do one crevice anyway and still haven't been up to look into it. hopefully there is a great big gold nugget waiting for me when i do. Others have been pulled out of it and around it so hopefully

alwayslookin

Postby alwayslookin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Was the SDC 2300 used much around Tassie. Very interested in how one would go in our hot ground.

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:52 pm

HI they are the ducks guts. Everyone i know with one has been picking up lots of gold here in Tassie. Fox etc. Lee over in QLD got over 80 nuggets with a SDC2300 last trip and well over 10+Ounces of gold for the year. AU$14000+ Both guys are experienced and have lots of machines. and are doing better with them than with 5000's ATX etc.. the one im getting tomorrow was $2800 and i have seen them go for as low as $2500.

2 buttons. turn it on and go.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:51 pm

I found my first detected gold with my SDC2300 last weekend. Some pieces I detected were well under 0.1g. I kid you not. Phil saw me detect and get a bit out of a crevice that was the size of a celery seed.

ron

Postby ron » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:52 am

Hi Phil,

during our outing I mentioned the camera that I was hoping to use u'water.
Attached is the info I posted in the Prospecting Aust Gold Prospecting Forum. The idea has not progressed since then (perhaps a rainy day will provide further inspiration). It was good to see your working model in the camp. I liked the recording option.

11 December 2014 08:42 am

Now for something of a different nature

Some 6 months ago I did buy a w'proof camera, USB type. It is very small & has a 5m lead. Picture quality is good. I had thought of using it with my old laptop (which has since died) in the particular creek that we visit. The solution is to connect it to a $99 tablet which is small & lightweight rather than the laptop but must have a USB port.
The camera could be fastened to a stick or plastic tube and used underwater. The camera MAY show up some sediments in the creek bed. The test is adding dirt from my garden into a bucket of water and placing a running hose into the bucket to see what shows up. If ok in murky water then this is helpful where flow rates are low & water remains murky.
I have placed a AA battery alongside for a size comparison. The camera is say 10mm longer than the battery & marginally larger in diameter on the end fitted with the lens.
I will post findings on the forum.
Has anyone set up a camera for fossicking?
1418250855_dscn0396-w800-h600.jpg
1418250855_dscn0397-w800-h600.jpg

Good luck out there!!
Cheers
Ron
Attachments
1418250855_dscn0397-w800-h600.jpg
1418250855_dscn0397-w800-h600.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 942 times
1418250855_dscn0396-w800-h600.jpg
1418250855_dscn0396-w800-h600.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 942 times