NEW cleanup sluice carpet in an Aluminium Klondike longtom

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Philski

NEW cleanup sluice carpet in an Aluminium Klondike longtom

Postby Philski » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi all

Took a while but finally managed to get some photos of the new sluice carpet laid down in the head of an awesome TIG welded Aluminium Klondike like longtom. It works way, way better than i expected and clean up was the easiest i have ever experienced. With carpet it gets clogged up, miners moss clogs, wool, coconut fibre, etc. The black sands run straight off and had no loss under cleanup conditions. Capture rate outperformed V mat by miles. The Longtom / sluice itself is made here in Tassie and is super light, solid and purpose built to get into the creek bed and keep the water off it so you can work it in even a trickle of water. One of the best built sluice box's i have seen. With this you just pick the gold out..

The black sands i collected last week where juiced up and cleaned off in seconds, leaving nothing but gold. Some of the sands floated but where devoid of gold under 100x magnification. Red was the best colour i have found to make the gold stand out the most. I tried multiple colours and textures before i got the right one. Nothing was found in the tailings so near 100% capture rate? There would have to be some superfine flour gold lost. but i could not find any in the tailings at all. The furthest the finest gold went was the 3rd riffle. A little black sand was under the expanded mesh itself. The mesh is the same dimensions the klondike prospecting association found to work the best after their sluice box research was finalized. flow rates, etc.

The best thing about the new cloth is the gold clings to it like glue. With or without riffles. Wet or dry. it is like a little sluice box in itself with thousands of little riffles built in to it.

DSCF0314.JPG
DSCF0314.JPG (205.25 KiB) Viewed 952 times

results.
DSCF0315.JPG
DSCF0315.JPG (155.88 KiB) Viewed 952 times

I have only pulled the pickers out and will burn the carpet in a few months to get any remaining flyshit gold.

ron

Re: NEW cleanup sluice carpet in an Aluminium Klondike longt

Postby ron » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:16 am

Hi Phil,

I'd like to get some of the super dooper carpet for my sluice, could you please help with further details?

Cheers
Ron

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Ron sure can.

send me your address and i will post one down, Im also starting Uni in Hobart soon so can even deliver it

ron

Postby ron » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:38 am

hey Phil

thanks for your offer for the carpet. Not sure what you have left but the size needed is

My address is
6 Glenlea Court
Claremont 7011

other contact details are 6249 4327 or 0457 457 028 & ronlud2003@yahoo.com.au

Not far from Abbottsfield Footy oval.

Ben Whitney is also doing Geology final year at uni, have you met him? Ben will most likely be going down to Lymington - to look at Forsters Rivulet (near Coad's adit) Wed or Thurs this week. I hope we get some rain because there was bugger all water flowing 3 weeks ago.

Give me ahoi if/when you are passing by on your way to school & call in for coffee & chat.

Cheers
Ron

ron

Postby ron » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:44 am

Ooops to keen on sending message without dimensions!!!

the size needed is 560mm x 290mm

Cheers

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:00 am

HI Ron i posted it before i saw your post and only have the size i sent down to you, sorry.. I know the Australian distributor of it personally, so will see if i can get longer lengths of it for you. He is in Tassie too.

have a great night
Phillip

Rohan

Postby Rohan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Good to see it working phil did you find the flare worked ok

drystone

Postby drystone » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Philski,
I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in trying this new carpet:
are you going to distribute it via your online shop or if you don't want to be a middle man, would you post details of where to obtain it?
looks the goods!
cheers,
Andrew

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:20 am

HI Andrew

Its microfiber cleaning cloth. I noticed it grabbing my fingers when i used some for domestic cleaning and tried it in a sluice and gold loves it. The stuff i used is redback brand and can be found in IGA supermarkets in a 4 pack for under $5. I guess its like wool with its little barbs and its affinity to trap gold. Only synthetic. The 4 pack i used has different textured cloth and the red one seems the stickiest to touch and shows up the gold best of the 4 colours i had on hand. Im sure supercheap, shiploads etc would have a similar product. The benefit to me is in the cleanup as the gold sticks on it, and not in it.

Not all microfiber cloth is sticky, so test by feel.

Ron pointed out it may need a backing under it because its very thin and his riffles didn't press into it enough. so he used it over his existing carpet. Im not sure how he went with it. I had a new sluice, so made it fit in a single layer.

Surprisingly, ;) i put a few of the nuggets above on ebay and they are approaching $300 for 2.5 grams......... !!! with 2 days to go...! how cool is that,, gold is going to the moon.

hope that helps

Phillip

drystone

Postby drystone » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:48 pm

thanks Philski,
I'll stalk the aisles of the nearest IGA!
it's nice to see someone who can "think outside the box"
now...to get some gold
:)
drystone