Sluicing in Tasmania

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

admin
Site Admin

Sluicing in Tasmania

Postby admin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi Guys after 3 - 4 months of talk and email to MRT finally got sort of an answer , not what I was looking for so will continue by calling again to try to get it sorted out , as some of you may know I had verbal approval for small 3 foot / 90 cm sluice use in Tasmania but that seems to be in the to hard basket /buck passing by the powers to be , so will keep trying for an answer , don,t hold your breath , copy of response below , write to these guys either letter or email

Hello Mick,

Thank you for your inquiry, I take it from your email that you are referring to the use of a sluice under a prospecting licence. That being the case, I can provide the following response.

In accordance with the Mineral Resources Development Act 1995 (MRDA), Condition 6 relating to prospecting licences states:

Only hand prospecting for material is allowed and only hand-held tools may be used. The use of mechanical machinery or any explosives is prohibited. The use of sluices and trommels and motorised pumps is not permitted. The licence will be withdrawn from any person breaching this condition.

As such, the use of any sluicing device is prohibited in Tasmania under the MRDA. I have attached an Application for a Prospecting Licence form that provides a list of all the conditions relating to prospecting licences (page2).

I hope that this response has answered your inquiry appropriately, please do not hesitate to contact my via the undersigned if you would like to discuss further.

Regards,

Clint Siggins | Mine Leasing and Liaison Officer | Mineral Resources Tasmania Email: clint.siggins@dier.tas.gov.au | P - 03 6233 8325 | M - 0417 017 426
F - 03 6233 8338 | PO Box 56, Rosny Park, TAS 7018 | Web http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au

cheers starry ;)

acfish

Re: Sluicing in Tasmania

Postby acfish » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm

just send an email through to MRT, if enough people hassle them enough they may adjust the rule?
Just a hope.
copy of the letter below
cheers,
andrew

Hello,

Would you be able to provide some reasoning as to the restrictive conditions imposed on the Tasmanian prospectors licence.

I am specifically referring to the restrictions in the use of sluices, trommels and motorised pumps to move water.

1. Why does Tasmania see fit to restrict these devices, when they are legal to use in NSW and Victoria, both states which have many more active prospectors than Tasmania?

2. Can you provide me with evidence of misuse of these devices by prospectors in the past within Tasmania. (I am not referring to dredges which have documented history of misuse).

With the use of a shovel/pick, there is very much a limit to how much material a man can move.

3. Do you agree that as Australia has a rich history of prospecting, with much of the success and prosperity of the country we live in today as a result of prospectors finding gold. There should be provision for the amateur to engage in prospecting to an extent that fine gold can be collected using the above mentioned devises. Without their use only insignificant amounts of gold can be collected. Applying for a mining/exploration lease is beyond the scope of a hobby. Collection of gold has become the domain of large mining companies, not the people of Australia as it once was.

I look forward to your responses,

Regards,

shyneesteel

Postby shyneesteel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:35 am

Why don't you check the water act as in queenland this allows the use of water to process your dirt or gravel.Not allowed to pump water containg gravels or soil,only pump it for process.Could be linked together under water usage act.Worth a look and if so they would have to redraught legislation to stop you.
Hope this helps. Dave

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:34 pm

i have approched MRT on the wording on the licence and its "all" inclusivness on sluice with the hope of taking them to Fair trade. But got the office shuffle. Is for instance a garrets super gold pan (world leader in prospecting) with "riffles" is that illegal here. and my turbo pan. "its a sluice" A World Class Product illegal in Tasmania too. Then if it is. The WTO world trade, or is that wrestling, Fair trade tomorrow and our own consumer afairs.

if its not illegal, say a turbopan,,can i cut it up and make a sluice out of it?

Remembering its only illegal in North Korea and here. I would imagine.

And, Why is a slucie box on the very front cover of Ralph Botrills take 2 Alluvial prospecting in Tasmania. not an editorial error, an updated version, Are not MRT promoting an illegal activity right here in Tasmania? Naughty MRT.. No wonder they have left so many confused and upset.

Kindest regards
Philllip Kemp

shyneesteel

Postby shyneesteel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 pm

I reckon they are just way too green in the public service. That is only my personal opinion.
Dave.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 pm

shyneesteel wrote:I reckon they are just way too green in the public service. That is only my personal opinion.
Dave.

Dave did you notice the greens voted down the noise wind turbines produce this week in the Senate. Its now legal to make a lot of noise. How green is that (not) Go China.

i have never voted liberal in my life and want to be a paid member now. We have a prime minister not one of us voted for. A premier not one of us voted for that beat the liberals even though the Liberals had more votes. and a state more torn apart than at any time in its history with pure stupidity and sold for a song, almost all gone. I dare say not one single member of our government could run Melbourne, let alone Victoria without it going to the fan in a matter of seconds. Not one of our Tasmanian Government is actually born in Tasmania apart from the green whats his name that plonked his work associate. him. And Mr Aquital. She is from PNG, Big fish, little pond. Now it's almost all sold. Once its all gone,,, i guess you will leave and smile for the camera on the way out. As they do.

note* i was a member of the Tasmanian wilderness society when numbers would have been in the hundreds. so long ago in a violent time. I am not anti green, far far from it. The greens political party of today has evolved into a dysfunctional no brain or policy party running behind nature lovers for a benevolent few. Are any of there car fleet hybrid? have they produced one single envoromental policy anyone can think of that has benifited nature or mankind? Even sink strainers to all would have been a cost effective start. but no. Nothing after many years in bed with the enemy. Have they produced any alternitive ideas to combat or adapt to change, not a cracker from them. And they will get the same from me in return.

shyneesteel

Postby shyneesteel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:00 am

Dearest admin,you make happy with what you have written.
Years ago when I lived in your beautiful state I was at mum and dad's when my sister and her uni mates arrived after a meeting where they happily were told that another mine was closing up the west coast that they had been protesting about.They were so eager to express their happiness after helping to shut down another evil mine.
When I interupted the party and asked my sister if she was happy her father was paying for her education,she replied "of cause I am why do you ask that".
As I replied to her I could help but raise my voice as I said to her and her friends,"well I am glad your happy but do you lot ever think about the people you just put out of work.How the hell do you lot think those people are going to pay for their childrens time in uni when you helped to put them out of work.Your just a bunch of selfish gits with no life skills or knowledge.Youve been used by these dickheads that want to shut this state down and send us back to the dark ages".Then I walked out the house in disgust.
I will never forget the looks on their faces.
Anyway a few years ago she rang and said she was sorry about that and could now understand the problems they helped create.She is an accountant with 20 years in the workforce now and with a lot better understanding of the way these crazies are destroying the state of Tasmania. Shame is'nt it it takes so long. Dave.

acfish

Postby acfish » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 am

We are all living in a state that is "over regulated and under policed".
I would challenge anyone who is works for these gov organisations to be fluent in all the regulations that are in place. From dogs, lawnmowers, sluices, cutting a tree down, selling second hand stuff......

Some times a little common sense is the best way to go.
If you are not causing any significant damage or annoying anyone else, where is the harm?
And who will enforce it anyway?

-ac

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:41 am

i could not agree more and thanks. you put it better than i ever could. And thanks too Dave, I'm just thankful I'm not alone. i really am. We are at war down here. I don't want to bow down to get my head cut off. and that is all they know. All our states major industries have taken a hammering. Things that have lasted 210 years. Not that we don't make mistakes. but we learn. I have 5 kids. my mate has 7 kids. he just lost his job.
he is leaving his state to feed his family. He is also forestry and as green as i am. im not that green. 9 people gone. 7 little mouths. Shame on them shame shame shame.

I would on sluices like to remind everyone regardeless of anyones opinion on sluices and pumps and god knows what, when they annex more land on the north west it wont mater how you prospect it. You wont be allowed to. it will be illegal in that whole area and most of the middle. We will be down to a small fraction of the total states mainland land area other that private property. And the majority of that remaining open to us is barren.

it has not happened yet. and i wish, pray, hope and will do shit to make it not, ever happen. If i can.

shyneesteel

Postby shyneesteel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 pm

I feel for you people down there,I really do.One of the last decisions made regarding forestry was not even decided by the goverment.The green lobbiests are now formulating gov policy for them.lara has no balls and neither do any other of your 'pollies'.
The greens stated,"We have got forestry,mining is next". They are starting on nth qld now.
They have to be put back in their place as they are only a small minority of the population.
Dave