Gold nugget database

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

mfdes

Gold nugget database

Postby mfdes » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Phil, and everyone,

I keep seeing posts like these on prospecting sites: http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t3078-is ... nning-gold

BTW, I notice you wrote back on that one, Phil! Anyway, it seems to be a very common idea that Tasmania has no gold nuggets and only fine gold. But the reality couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, the Lisle goldfield was peculiar because the gold was so fine, nuggets were very rare, and specimens almost completely missing, but most of our goldfields were pretty normal, with a range of sizes of gold, including nuggets.

Anyway, in case you haven't already come across it, I've put together a database of Tasmanian gold nuggets. I went searching through the National Library of Australia's Trove database, and linked back to the newspaper reports of individual nuggets. There are probably quite a lot missing, it's a work in progress. If you come across any that aren't in the list, I'd love to add them.

You should be able to sort the nugget list by place, date, and size. Also, I'm aware there are issues on iPhone screens in portrait mode, and the links fall out on the right hand side. Not sure how to fix it yet, but you can see them in landscape mode.

You can find the database here: http://www.appleisleprospector.com/tasm ... d-nuggets/

Happy prospecting!

Philski

Re: Gold nugget database

Postby Philski » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:58 am

that's excellent Miguel! its a valuable, well put together resource.

if you can, RIchard Wolf and Hans Julens would have found more nuggets between them in Tassie than just about anyone alive. Richard is down in Cygnet, and Hans is in Launceston. and Mr Bottrill at MRT is a wealth of knowledge. As is Shorty Halfacre. And Ron of course. I think they all get a mention in alluvial gold in Tasmania too.

hope that helps.

mfdes

Re: Gold nugget database

Postby mfdes » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks Phil!

I haven't met Richard, Shorty or Hans. I did notice Ralph cites them and Ron in his 'Alluvial Gold' booklet. I think it would be unfair to disclose the location where someone found good, recent nuggets, without their permission.
But the historical stuff is there to be found by anyone who knows what to look for.