A day out

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

taurusjustin

A day out

Postby taurusjustin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi all I'm going up to lake sinclare tas and wanted to know if there was any streams worth a pan for a few hrs thanks

Philski

Re: A day out

Postby Philski » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:38 pm

HI

do you mean Lake St Clair?

Not in that area, Its all glacial moraines to the south of the lake and further east on Travellers rest is nothing but Dolerite all the way to little pine. The other end of the lake is quite a mineralised area. Get the boat or walk the 19 km. Then another 20km and your there, Out towards Pelion on the old pelion track. There is a bit of gold in the Bee hives the other side of Mount Hugel, to the west of Lake St Clair about 8 km or so as the crow flies. that's about the closest https://goo.gl/maps/K5NL6MBzarz

Mt Arrowsmith was reputed to carry significent gold, but follow ups didnt reveal anything significant. Lots of Serpentine so may have some osmiridium and gold. Frenchmans cap is another area, as does the Franklin river downstream from the Lyell highway about 10km carry gold . However all of them are firmly in the World Heritage Area. Im not sure about the Collinwood River for gold? To the East towards Hobart there is always Dee lagoon (Tunnel Marsh) on the hydro's portishead road, for a bit of Agate. In the free fossicking area. The other areas in the Southern highlands is the Jane river and Adamsfield. And the Eldons... but it would take a week to get into there. Adamsfield and Tunnel Marsh are the only ones you're allowed in that im aware of down that way. The rest has been locked up.

The closest gold to there your allowed to get is at Linda about 80km away.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:59 am

Hi Phil, Jim,
I don't know of any serpentine in that area at all, the closest is on the West Coast Range, Boyes River, and Birch's Inlet. The Mt Arrowsmith gold find was probably a contaminated sample. A prospecting party collected some quartz samples and sent them to Melbourne for assay. The assay came back with fabulously rich values (over 1,000 oz per ton). It seems unbeliveable, because the quartz seemed nothing special, and at that level you'd expect plenty of visible gold in the samples.

None of the follow-up worked found the slightest trace. The area isn't too far from the Jane River goldfield, though.

As Phil said, the whole area is National Park and World Heritage. The closest worthwhile location is probably Linda / Gormanston, near Queenstown, just over an hour by road to the west.

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi Miguel and all

Its about 1/3 of the way down from the Arrowsmith lookout on the right. Its exposed in a cutting for a considerable distance. Its stunning serpentine too, really green and glossy. There are 2 distinct serpentines in Tas that produce different % of osmiridium. I dont think this is one of them.

i just did google street view and landed on some, lol
https://goo.gl/maps/WUgdmG4pfmz

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:21 am

Ok, I think I know the ones you mean. They're mapped in the geological maps as Proterozoic greenschist (as opposed to Cambrian serpentine / serpentinite). It's veined with quartz in a lot of places and goes from jet black to green as you drive through it?
Interestingly, even if it isn't serpentine, it's the exact same rock type that surrounds all of the Jane River alluvial field, and the hard-rock source of that alluvial gold was never found, so not altogether impossible to find gold there.

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Awesome thanks Migeul, They probably are a greenschist from memory and not serpentine. I dont remember it as being fibrous. But it was a long time ago. 20 years or more. I often wondered if one type of rock was the true indicator used for gold the old prospectors. The greenstone they spoke about and looked for around lynch creek and dundas and savage river etc. was it serpentine or schist? Jasper is another indicator they spoke of. Get them together and you're on gold.

I just read a funny met report on the Arrowsmith expedition by G.J. Latta (1863)
"They certainly are the poorest samples i ever examined both in appearance and results"
http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominfo/download/OS_012_OLD/OS_012.pdf

Goulds expedition into the south west has quite a few gold shows recorded. im not sure if he wasn't the one that found the high initial results?

Wally92

Postby Wally92 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Gday fellas!
Have seen the serpentine my self working around mt arrow smith regularly think Miguel is correct on the green schist sort of has a completely different composure on the other hand an old freind from Queenstown spent many a working day out there on the raglan range and over behind the bee hive canal and noted he used to pan nice gold regularly on taffys and squires creek?! Unsure but I'd love to see for myself ! But unfortunately can't
Cheers wally.

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:44 am

The Tasmanian WHA draft plan has included access to fossick in and the ability to request access of different groups via a proponent mechanism / checklist. Our state is for us as a community and the whole world to share, enjoy and protect.

http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/DRAF ... 20Plan.pdf

Self-Reliant Recreation Zone and Recreation Zone are allowable fossicking areas, The franklin river is one of them.
Visitors information zones. Cradle mountain - Lake St Clair visitors information areas are prohibited, as are remote recreation areas.

The Assay of samples by Metallurgist Latta of the Mount Arrrowsmith expedition. The sampling in the report was from South of the Surprise valley. Not on Mount Arrowsmith itself. But the correspondence of the party have them visit the top of Arrowsmith via Ouse and King William1, then i presume the Navarre plains, from the boggy ground encountered.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/41458933

The leader of the expedition Mr Dumaresq writes they can see visible gold in the quartz and gold in the pan. He is an experienced Victorian gold prospector.

Wally92

Postby Wally92 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks philski great read !
Cheers wally.