Water race

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Wally92

Water race

Postby Wally92 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:33 pm

Gday folks !
Chacing some info on the water race on the longback just north of corrina, workings etc any info aporeciated!
Cheers wally.

mfdes

Re: Water race

Postby mfdes » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:06 am

Hi Wally,

That water race was built, as far as I know, by the New Donaldson Hydraulic Gold Mining Company in the 1890s, I think probably 1894. There was a mad rush to hydraulic mining in the 1890s in the Corinna area, after the success of the technique in California and New Zealand.
However, most of the schemes were poorly thought out, and companies like the Corinna Hydraulic, Lucy Spur Hydraulic, Brooklyn Hydraulic, etc went bust after poor cleanouts shortly after opening. At the same time there was a general bust in mining in the 1890s, brought on by the bubble bursting after rampant speculation in the previous decades. As a result of this, the New Donaldson company folded even before they gave their ground a try.
The exact location of their deposit is a bit of a mystery, but some large, old diggings at the headwaters of Guthrie Creek was probably the site. This is an area that was discovered by TB Moore and company in 1882, and they worked the rich alluvials in secret for months that winter, until discovered by another party. Eventually prospectors followed the source of the alluvial gold in Sabbath (Sunday) and Guthrie creeks to old tertiary perched alluvials in the spurs above the creeks, on the foothills of the northern end of Mount Donaldson, and that was the target for the New Donaldson company.
By all accounts they held good ground, and while they were prospecting it, even found some diamonds.
I think I went over some of the story of this area in my Corinna post last year: http://www.appleisleprospector.com/the- ... ld-fields/
And they might be links to the diamond finds in my post on diamonds: http://www.appleisleprospector.com/tasmanian-diamonds/
Cheers,

Miguel

Wally92

Postby Wally92 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks miguel! Ive been lucky enough to be shown some more recent light workings in the area yesterday (last 4 years ) very well worth the look! Done ok from it too !
Cheers wally.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:59 am

Sabbath Creek is still ok. I found my first nugget there.

Wally92

Postby Wally92 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks Miguel!
Never been that far in is it the Donaldson river side of mt Donaldson or the western explorer side ?
Also access ? Mt Donaldson walking track or an alternative route ??
Cheers wally.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:33 pm

You access it from the Western Explorer by walking down some old logging tracks. They're just south of the water race and visible on Google Earth. The creek flows westwards into the Donaldson.