Terraces and Benches

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Terraces and Benches

Postby Philski » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:44 pm

i have been trying to hunt down an old terrace to work. A section of the old river stuck up on the hill as the river cuts its way down. Looking for water worn Gravels etc. The creeks have been done. Most of the terraces have too, but not all. One the the hardest things i have found hunting these terrace deposits is Conglomerate. It looks like and is old river gravels. So have to refer to geological maps to see the areas it isnt. Anyway, i finally found a few old terraces in and around Devonport. I have not tested any for minerals yet. More to hone my skill at finding them. They where once creeks/rivers or small sections left of them as yet un exploited. Till i found my first, i didnt really know what to look out for, I had a fair idea. but not 100% sure.

The one that got me going is on the road from Devonfield in Devonport to the lawn cemetery down the hill and into Spreyton and well above any existing creeks. you can see the water worn gravels easily from a moving car and once you see one. the rest will just jump out at you.

loverr

Re: Terraces and Benches

Postby loverr » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Do youthik there would be anything in there mate?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Its a highly mineralized area all around Devonport. so anything is possible. But i doubt it carries gold in any great quantity. It may contain other valuable minerals though.
I guess just glancing at 80kph. The rocks look like basalt, shape and colour so prob not. I will have to stop on the way to work tomorrow morning and have a look. Perhaps get bogged a little and dig out some dirt to save my car from certain peril. and know for sure.

there is another deposit on the nook road. as you hit the east nook, west nook T junction on the way up. on the right in the road cutting a decent load of gravels perhaps 10 meters above the existing creek.

loverr

Postby loverr » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:19 am

Very interesting :)
where do you work starry?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 am

gday loverr , with the admin posts Philski and I are both admin , as I no longer work I suppose i,m retired now and just have to get my leg better before I can get out again , hard to walk as I have infection in my leg should be ok in a couple of weeks then will be heading of again , will post up when going back up to Moina area as is not as far as west coast , when we head down west coast we normally go for about a week to make it a good trip but people can still meet up with us when down as we will post where our main camp will be hopefully with google maps page so people can find it

cheers starry :D