Reef gold

Eluvial and placer Prospecting in Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

Wally92

Reef gold

Postby Wally92 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Gday folks!
How's everyone going? Just wondered if anyone has had any luck locating an exposed reef lately !?
Cheers wally.

Philski

Re: Reef gold

Postby Philski » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 pm

hi Wally

The only one with visible gold ive found was in some stockwork in the lea river. Its gone now. it had fine wire gold and in all honesty wasn't worth extraction even with today's prices. Torque mining mined it last year, at a loss. unfortunately..

Wally92

Postby Wally92 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Interesting, in the river itself philski or up higher ? It's nice there!
Cheers wally.

Philski

Postby Philski » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:06 pm

HI Wally in the river itself. upstream from the middle road crossing about 500 meters on the left going up from the big boulder, about 50 - 100 meters downstream from the Stormont deposit itself. https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-41.490 ... a=!3m1!1e3

i quite literally panned up to it and it stopped. went back a bit and hit the vein. The gold is very pretty wire gold with perfect cubes of gold on each end (1mm cubes). about 1cm long or so. so only small

The only other hard rock mineralization in the Lea clearly visible is a few km upstream towards lake lea and before the tea tree creek junction. https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-41.502 ... a=!3m1!1e3
its starting to get out of the gold zone and into the copper.

locations are approx but pretty close. Just past stormont the basalt has some amazing traps in the river itself, a few feet down and a good foot across.

There is an extensive alluvial flat on the opposite side. i have had trees coming down around me on the opposite bank and have not been back for a while. put the wind up me a bit. Steve who has the quaker barns put the boom gate up and i used to just go bush but now a few new houses and peoples property are in the road.

The other way in is straight up the mouth of the river it is amazingly beautiful in there for sure. there is also a decent slate deposit just on the left of the river mouth and in a bit. never detected it, but would like to one day.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Wed May 04, 2016 5:27 pm

The old timers did an amazingly good job of locating any exposed reefs in accessible areas. Not much discovered since.