Metal detectors for a beginner

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

loverr

Metal detectors for a beginner

Post by loverr » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:28 am

So guys, what a decent metal detector for a newbie?

riverrat

Re: Metal detectors for a beginner

Post by riverrat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 am

Hi loverr check out my post on the snoop gold pro

Greenwell2

Post by Greenwell2 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Gday,
How long is a piece of string.
Depends on what sort of detecting you plan to do.
research is the key. Youtube and forums are invaluable and so are the review sites though you have to sort the chaff from the wheat with them as I feel that some of them are by trolls and opposition reps.
I use a BH Tracker IV which while it wasn't my first choice is a great little coin/relic machine. It will also handle the wet sand and was cheap which meant I was out detecting not sitting at home wishing I had one. It has paid for itself in 6 mths.
My first choice was the x terra 305 or if I could stretch the 505.
Ace 250 , Fisher F2 were also on the short list.
Wish list, which means ones I would like but were only just within price range if I stretched, were the 350, AT PRO and the F4.
Have seen the F4 in action and while it is better than the BH generally it can't handle the wet sand so am glad didn't go there.
For gold the Goldsnoops seem to be popular and effective and then of course there are the new and 2nd hand Mine labs.
Good luck with your choice.
So much ground, so little time
Greenwell2

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:42 pm

A machine that feels balanced in your arm and not tiresome is a great start. VLF or PI will both find metal objects including gold. I pick minelab mostly because they are world leaders in their field and local and rarely if ever break down. Garretts are great too. I started with a Garret in the early 70's aged about 5. My grandfather found enough to build a museum of relics + sovs.

for shear depth. the GPX 5000
For Treasure x terra and e trac

semi serious: any of the GP SD range, modded if possible.

For a bash in the backyard with the kids. The elcheapo security wands on ebay can be enhanced to 8 inches depth by simply adjusting a screw. 4x better depth than minelab and garrett pin pointers and only cost me $12 on ebay.

loverr

Post by loverr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks very much guys :)

loverr

Post by loverr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:49 pm

What about the Garret ace 250 ?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 pm

The garrets a ripper too.

um, Im selling an X terra 70 for $475 tonight if your interested. Someone offered $450. But i cant go that low. Not for a digital Minelab set up for gold and it would be the cheapest on i have ever seen sold for in Australia. Great machine and well supported. Happy to offer 100% money back if your not happy with it. and time to pay if you need it.

night
Phillip
home, (03) 64 911 841

ends midnight tonight. on another forum.

loverr

Post by loverr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks very much, but the missus just brought me a 250 off ebay like 10 mins ago :( damnnnn!

Greenwell2

Post by Greenwell2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:47 pm

250 is a good machine. Is a coin magnet. Fella on AMDRH forum was over here earlier this year and scored about $300 in coin along the shore in Devonport damn him as I didn't own a detector then. :)
Roger
So much ground, so little time
Greenwell2

ratters

Post by ratters » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Hey guys, I would also like some advice on getting a metal detector. Apart from a go with a cheapie years ago finding horse shoes in a paddock i have no experience at all. Would I be right in assuming that you buy the best you can afford?
I was thinking of possibly setting a budget of up to $2k and that can be either new or second hand. Ideally Im interested in taking some trips out wandering around looking for small nuggets, maybe a bit of coin hunting but probably more for gold. Cheers!