Metal detectors for a beginner

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

admin
Site Admin

Re: Metal detectors for a beginner

Postby admin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi Ratters.

it depends on what you want to use it for. a PI Pulse Induction machine at $2000 you could get a nice 2200 or modded 2100 with stacks of coils or even a GP extreme if your lucky. i saw a GP for $2200 this week. The majority of all the Big and small Gold is being found with PI.

want Treasure? save a few bucks and get a VLF.

Any metal detector will find metal objects, Gold included. The size and proximity of target matters and can sometimes be improved with a decent coil (receiver) or decent electrical charge (boost) or improved or amplified output/sinewave. (sender)

The newer models offer better discrimination, Depth, size of target, weight, robustness, and cool buttons.

i started with a Garrett VLF in the 70's as a kid, then a Minelab 17000 then an xterra. next a gpx5000. Not that i can afford it, but its the most logical thing to do.

But always, rule of thumb. get the best machine you can afford and that will suit your needs now and into the future. I choose minelab because they make killer machines and have outstanding resell value.

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi all, just wondering who in tassie does a bit of gold detecting? What type of detector do you use?
the reason I am asking is because i'm in the market for a machine but can't decide what do get. 90% will be used on tassie soil. Currently thinking about a whites GMT or push the bar up and get a gp extreme.

Anyone provide some details of their setups & any finds down here?

Thanks

gold4c

Postby gold4c » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:32 am

Hi Pioneer,
I have a Minelab SD2200 which was my first detector, I have not found gold with it but lots of bullets etc and a 10c piece once in the early days. I spoilt myself with a Minelab GPX 5000 when I was in WA last year as they were the machines finding gold over there. My husband Noel and I found 50 small nuggets while in Cue also a nice specimen and we got a few around Dunolly Vic as well. My best find in Tassie only happened a few weeks ago with a 0.8g nugget in Moina area. Even the 5000 can give signals on hot rocks and as I dig all targets and with the undergrowth in Tasmania I find it a real struggle to detect in the bush here. My advice is to buy the very best you can and practice as often as you can. I am in Railton so if you want to have a go with either one you are welcome to give them a go.
Coral

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Yeah I had an sd2200 once but I never even used it apart from in the backyard so I sold it!!, now i wish i hadn't. Good to know you found a little nugget in tassie soil!. I will be keeping an eye out for another detector to go burn some hours on my days off. Where else in tassie have you had a swing around?

Cheers

travelergold

Postby travelergold » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Depends on your budget. We have a minelab 4500 and have found small nuggets and a couple specimens here in tassy. The wife has also now got a GMT whites machine, have not used it in tassy yet.
If we hadent purchased that one 12 mths ago we would now be looking at the minelab sdc2300 machine. The reports are that it is finding small gold where the 5000 has missed them. Also good on larger gold. At almost $4000 though they are pricey but they are also water proof, I think 10 foot. We are thinking of selling the GMT to then purchase a 2300.
our opinion. TG

whitehunter

Postby whitehunter » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:28 am

Have you thought about a Whites TDI , it's a Pi machine at a reasonable price $2,345 . A mate of mine has just spent 3 months on the big island prospecting and he met several people around the camps that were using Whites machines and doing well .