Minelab 705 gold pack - x terra 70 comparison

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Minelab 705 gold pack - x terra 70 comparison

Postby Philski » Wed May 14, 2014 2:57 am

This my first impression going from the minelab x terra 70 to the new series-11 705 gold pack gold detectors today. They changed to get rid of nell coils being connectable. If you have a nell you need an x-terra 70 or first edition 705.

The first thing i noticed on the new 705 is the quality of the plastics is down from the 70. im sure minelab would disagree, but it feels less solid. cheaper or something, The shaft feels less robust too. There is slightly more room on the grip on the later model. But, button ergonomics where made even worse than before, to assist a few blokes with extra big hands no doubt. you need an extra thumb to turn it on now though. However all the ligher material makes the detector feel lighter slightly so not a bad thing and may have been changed to save weight.

anyway,, how does it go. in a word, its frikin Awesome. My front yard has been detected and detected from one end to the other i think having no metal in it makes it safer for the kids and gives me some practice. It was clean or so i thought.

I detected with the minelab 705 today and a 6 inch 18.75 kHz DD as it was the same combo i used last on the 70. Surprisingly.. The Minelab X-Terra 705 is really AWESOME on coins. (i have yet to hit the gold fields) I got more money out of the front yard than i have ever done before in one go 33% hit rate and im still not used to the detector or its junk signals. So that will improve. the above was in pattern 2, to discriminate most junk out. negative signals i dont worrie about.

Next i put the 15 inch 18.75 coiltek on and it hit targets where the 6 inch, elliptical, 10.5inch and standard 9 inch 18.75 said it was clean. It picked up even more targets to dig in the area i just cleaned. Im prospecting mode the 15 inch is deadly to nearly 1.8 meters on big targets air test. In coin and relic mode the big coiltek not as good as i would have expected after the air test. Still deeper ground penetration than the stock coil. Both coils are specifically high kHz for gold and not coins as such but will still happily find any metal objects.

Of the 2..the 705 i may need to be more careful bashing about in the bush with than the venerable x-terra 70. But if its first day is anything to go by it exceeds the 70 by miles in its finds and more importantly started paying for itself straight out of the box, same day.

John

Re: Minelab 705 gold pack - x terra 70 comparison

Postby John » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Have you had a chance to test the 705 on gold yet phil ? Anyone any thoughts on a comparison between the 705gold pack and the fisher goldbug 2 ?

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 pm

HI John

We didnt find any gold with the x terra 705, ATX or Fisher last week sorry, I had a couple of decent signals, i still need to dig them. The larger coil i really enjoyed for the extra depth but pinpointing and digging a hole actually big enough to fit it in to pinpoint was a pain. So i ended up detected with the big coil first then went over it again with the small 6 inch.

I did notice differences in readings with different coils before we went. And tested some fine gold in a glass jar at home the week before and got a neg -8 with the 6 inch coil. Its normally 4-6-7-8-10-12 etc.. Negative -8 is normally iron and i normally just block it out. So ended up digging every target this time and took home lots and lots of trash. At least the ground is cleaner than it was.

Mark was using a Fisher with us that day. But, im not sure about the model of it sorry. I think it was a gold bug 2? just looking at images of them on Google. Looked like a decent machine, but i have never used one personally.

I guess for me only having had the new detector back a week or so. Im still getting used to it. The other day was my first hit out with the it other than some treasure hunting around Sheffield. its leathal on trash if that helps. lol

If you know anyone with a goldbug 2 thats wants to do a comparison im more than happy to use the xterra if you need it.

John

Postby John » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks Phil.I have sent away for a goldbug2,not sure how long it will take to arrive(snail mail!) The 2 detectors appear to be around the same price bracket so would be interested to compare once I learn how to drive it! First detector. Been picking up regular small specks,flakes and matchhead size pieces of gold around mathinna,moina,the lisle,lefroy and beaconsfield just panning in the creeks over the last 3years. Thought it would be good to take it to the next level and be able to find something away from the creek beds(maybe???) Anyway thanks for all the interesting info that's made available through the forum! Much appreciated