Detecting the Palmer River QLD

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Detecting the Palmer River QLD

Postby Philski » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:19 pm

I got an email yesterday from FNQChris and i asked if i could show you his latest photos and what the area and gold looks like up that way. Ive always wanted to have a look on the Palmer river myself for its amazing history and the amount of gold got there. Very interesting place. It was also one of the last areas in Australia to see volcanic action. And some of the stories of the prospectors that didn't get out before the wet season kicked in are harrowing. Men like ion idriess worked this field and others near it. Chris is going great guns with his nugget hunting. Up to 3 nuggets in as many weeks nearly

image001.jpg
Hi Phillip,

Hope your enjoying the Xterra705?

I just got back from another trip to the Palmer River area and have just bought another Xterra705 gold pack on Gumtree as I’ve regretted selling my previous one ever since I sold it to you. My Garrett ATX is a great machine but I’m fed up with digging up junk targets and pulse induction machines don’t really have proper discrimination like VLF machines, such as the Xterra. I plan on using the Xterra in conjunction with the ATX to cut down on digging time.
In 8 days prospecting, I found 2 nuggets in one day and nothing for the rest of the time other than an 1866 one penny coin which was half a metre down.

Regards,
Chris
image001.jpg (76.68 KiB) Viewed 694 times
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 694 times
image003.jpg
image003.jpg (72.06 KiB) Viewed 694 times
image004.jpg
Image Source: FNQChris - used with permission
image004.jpg (124.18 KiB) Viewed 694 times

My “office” in the Palmer River. I found both nuggets 500metres either side of my camp