Day trip to a N.E goldfield.

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

Fox

Day trip to a N.E goldfield.

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:28 am

G'day all, I have recently gained permission to take forum members onto a working alluvial gold lease less than an hours drive from Launceston. It was first worked in the 1870's with sporadic activity up until the present time. Quite a lot of gold was found in the early days by the old timers, but they didn't get it all as small nuggets have been found by detectorists in recent times. The old workings are mostly fairly shallow - 3m deep or less and consist mainly of pits, trenches and sluiced areas covering a good sized area.
If anyone is interested in joining me this Sunday please post here and I will post details of a meeting place and time etc. on Friday evening.
All are welcome regardless of experience to share this rare opportunity and get to meet other Forum members.
Looking forward to it and hope to get a few replies.

Regards Fox

Philski

Re: Day trip to a N.E goldfield.

Postby Philski » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:41 am

You will definitely see me there Fox. And thank you for organising it.

have a great day
Phillip

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:08 am

I just wanted to say, seeing to the overwhelming response. If anyone needs a detector for the day, just ask. Some big nuggets came out of this field historically and recently. And, Its one of the most unique opportunities you will get in your lifetime in the NE of Tasmania to explore an historic gold producing area like this legally.

kaner

Postby kaner » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:26 am

I couldn't agree more Phill, If I was down there I would move heaven and earth to be there on sunday and the forum members
who are serious should pull their fingers out, you wont find two more knowledgeable blokes than Fox and Phill with decades and decades of experience
between them, so if you want to learn from experienced professional prospectors not amateurs now is your chance.
kane

ratters

Postby ratters » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:48 pm

So sorry to be missing out on this trip I would love to have come along! Unfortunately stuck in Hobart this weekend. I hope you all get lucky and maybe post a pic or 2 of the action for the rest of us.

Cheers!

Fox

Postby Fox » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi all and sorry you guys couldn't make it on Sunday. So far there are four of us including Phil and myself and if anyone else wants to come along it's not too late to put in a post. You're more than welcome.
The weather forecast looks good - mostly sunny and 13 degrees after a cold start, so it should be a nice day out there at Back Creek. We will meet at Pipers River store, which has good takeaway food, drinks, coffee etc. at 9.00 am then head out to the field which is about 5km North via a gravel road which is a little rough in spots but passable for 2wd vehicles.
Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday.
Regards, Fox

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:06 pm

If anyone needs a lift from the North West coast over to Pipers river, i can meet up in Devonport at 7.00am at say the pet shop on the way out of town in Formby road and car pool to pipers river. etc.
https://goo.gl/maps/0rsFs

We will try and get more trips going too. Sorry you guys cant make it. Hopefully we can come home with a few gold nuggets to show for the day. Weather is forecast to be overcast in the West but no rain in the NE.

night all
Phillip

Burbury

Postby Burbury » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:47 am

Good luck everyone , wish i could come but trouble n strifes birthday , think i better attend :o

Rohan

Postby Rohan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Hello will be there sounds like a great day. Rohan

Philski

Postby Philski » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:13 am

Awesome! see you tomorrow. i just got home after a double shift today. 15 hours and saw the wonderful wife. thought about an assignment but will do it tomorrow night. And, about to have a smoke and drink under the stars before i fall over involuntarily . Beautiful warm evening, after a very long day.

Good Night all, see you tomorrow
Phillip