Day trip to a N.E goldfield.

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

Fox

Re: Day trip to a N.E goldfield.

Postby Fox » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:11 am

Hi Ben and everyone.
Five of us turned up for the day, which started off with a very interesting and informative historical tour of the goldfield conducted by the lease holder. Many thanks to Ron for giving up his valuable time to make this a special day for us.
Afterwards Phil, Mark and I dispersed in different directions to detect amongst the old alluvial workings, while Rohan and David elected to pan some virgin alluvial wash that we found in the side of the gully.
The detectorists found an assortment of well rusted relics, bullets etc.but gold remained elusive until Phil found two nice little nuggets late in the afternoon. Surprisingly they were located about a foot down in heavy clay. They weighed in at about 1.0 and 1.5 gms an awesome result for his efforts.
The only flaw in an otherwise perfect day out was Phil getting a flat tyre on his car.
I have some photos of Phil's finds but will have to email to him to post as I don't yet have the ability to upload them.
IMAG0713.jpg
A 0.85gm nugget encased in clay, found 13/04/14 with Garrett ATX.
IMAG0713.jpg (163 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
IMAG0793.jpg
Phil's nuggets - 1.0gm & 1.5gm on scales
IMAG0793.jpg (340.47 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
IMAG0791_1.jpg
Phil's nuggets - zoom shot
IMAG0791_1.jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
IMAG0731.jpg
All found with ATX except for a 1.6gm sunbaker top left.
The second piece top left is the one from photo #1
All found 01/04/14 to 29/04/14
Selection of nuggets from Back Ck ranging from 0.05gm to 2.65gm
IMAG0731.jpg (235.04 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
IMAG0640.jpg
1930's miner's huts
IMAG0640.jpg (681.34 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Cheers, Fox

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi all.

It was an awesome day. And, my wife got a set of gold earrings! (mega brownie points) Great weather and great company. Ron Gregory gave us some fantastic history on the Back Creek area during the morning and showed us his exemplary efforts to not only mine for a profit and some of the factors involved. He also to actively protects some of the historical aspects of this extensive gold field. He is a living legend in Tasmanian prospecting with many active claims and leases across the state. People like him inspire me. And, i am very thankful for the opportunity and to Fox for organising it. Thank you both. The field is amazing and extensive and home to some of our only early puddling dams and gave me the chance to see one first hand was amazing! We also saw some of the first Chinese workings in the state and a description of the activity or as they would have worked the claims and is remarkable the effort and ingenuity and perseverance of our early miners.

scan0002.jpg
Back Creek Gold Specimens scan
scan0002.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

My find was right at the end of the day about 6 feet away from the road! Right behind us! typical.. i got a lot of iffy ground covered early to delineate the workings to the north and up into the headwaters of the lead we where on. So was a productive day all up.

The machines response to the target was strong and clear. Almost overload for a small nugget a foot down is excellent. x terra 705 6 inch coil at noise cancel +2 for higher kHz. Display 12 in Coin and relic. It sounded like gold if that helps. Big strong positive signal.
Back Creek Gold Specimens

And, got home safe and slept for 14 hours. Rohan called to make sure i got home and Fox and Mark for guiding me back. And, everyones help fixing the tyre. Thank you guys. i would still be there otherwise.. :) lol

The thing i found most interesting as a potential indicator for future outings is the dirty colour and porous nature of the quartz the gold adheres to compared to the majority of the quartz to be found on the surface. and it look more like the quartz grew on the gold than the gold growing on the quartz as a secondary event. The specimen is much worn with a hint of orthorhombic structure left. Perhaps quartz emplacement was triggered by the later acid volcanic events and using existing faults to travel? These gold deposits where apparently set off during the devonian granite emplacements 360 million years ago as was much of the gold with the later basalt flow filling the stream system and holding back the alluvial field. The leads however resembles tabberabberan orogeny landforms in the dip direction and upheaval during that extensive period of northern Tasmanian mountain building events, so was perhaps formed much earlier.
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
Back Creek Gold Specimens
scan0001.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

John

Postby John » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:26 pm

G,day fox

Sorry to have missed what sounded like a very interesting and informative outing I was away for a few days camping and didn't know it was on until it was too late. Any chance of a similar outing some time down the track?

John

Fox

Postby Fox » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:54 pm

G'day John and everyone, sorry about the short notice for the trip, but it's a bit hard at this time of year to get a window of good weather and when the opportunity presented itself, I had to act quickly to organize it. I will definitely organize another one when weather and time permits - possibly a weekend up there would give us more time to explore the field a bit better.
Watch this space. Cheers :)

Fox

Postby Fox » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks Phil for uploading my photos.Here's some captions for them:-

#1 - A 0.85gm nugget encased in clay, found 13/04/14 with Garrett ATX.

#2 - Phil's nuggets - 1.0gm & 1.5gm on scales

#3 - Phil's nuggets - zoom shot

#4 - Selection of nuggets from Back Ck ranging from 0.05gm to 2.65gm

#5 - 1930's miner's huts

kaner

Postby kaner » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:20 am

Excellent work Phill, very jealous :mrgreen: especially having the tour from Ron.
I think i'm sold on the ATX Fox seems to be very happy with his and other people I have spoken to cant recommend them enough,
there are some very interesting clips on you tube comparing the ATX against the 5k.
As soon as the water dries up here im going to be the proud owner of the ATX.
I've still got your gold do you want me to send it down to top up for the wifes ear rings.

kane

John

Postby John » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks Fox

Look forward to meeting you and everyone else! Pretty sure that after seeing the results of last weekend the response to a similar trip should be great.

John

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:12 am

HI all. i have used 3-4 or even 5? different Minelab gpx5000's. And personally i think they are amazing machines. i Still do. (at finding my shovel, HT wires, hematite, magnetite and other big magnetic and EM objects) They are the most sensitive to metal detector, i have ever used. But,,, on gold, ever or not or never. im, still waiting,. i have never, ever,, personally seen a single person, pull a single speck of gold out of the ground in Tasmania with a GPX5000! Coral and Ren are the only people i know off, in Tassie that has found a gold nugget with a GPX, down here. its the iron rich background? perhaps. Its definatly not lack of swing time. But, even i pulled up a Negative reading on a few grams of gold as fines with the x terra. As you would expect in a fat crevice. So minelab fault? i started digging everything neg as well now, so i cant miss., silly machine. kane and I found some gold fines last summer and they are indicative of Tasmanian gold. I still love minelab machines, even though it is no longer Australian owned. The product has fallen imo for it's product price and i guess if minelab if they want to be second best. Thats their corporate choice.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:31 am

I'm so jealous!

I couldn't make it this time. I'd love to come along another time though. I've been to the area in the past (no gold yet), and having permission would be awesome, I've always found it hard to tell where the leases start in order to stay out, even with my GPS.

ron

Postby ron » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:32 pm

hi Fox,
I just don't know how I missed this opportunity be be part of the event that you arranged. Amongst the dialogue you made mention of another trip, is there anything in the pipeline? Reason for asking is that I am heading interstate shortly for 3 months.

Cheers
Ron