titley26

Re: Metal Detecting weekend at Back Creek

Post by titley26 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:33 am

weather is suppose to get better by saturday so fingers crossed

Philski

Post by Philski » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi all

And Thanks Fox, And,,,RON. Hey Ron! Thank you very much for joining and your help showing us the field so very well last time. And permission to look! Its an awesome experience and place and very much appreciated.

Hopefully, i can get there both days. I have to work Saturday night, so only a half day Saturday and all day Sunday.

i had a bit of clay stuck on my boot from the hole with the nugget and panned it for a decent little speck of gold.

i also found a really easy way to treat the clay at home while i was doing it. Dry it completely. Then powder it to a few micron in seconds. It just crumbles apart beautifully. I was expecting the gold and any light material if any to float. But, didn't notice any on the top.

What the bet now, My wife will catch me shovelling dirt into the cloths dryer.

Philski

Post by Philski » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 pm

My newest detector accessory arrived today. Just in time for the weekend. Its a coiltek long lower shaft and i got it especially for getting down into the bottom of the shafts and trenches. It will get me at least 8 feet under ground stretched out as it is. It should go a couple of feet lower down than any other detector has been before. (from the surface). I am also going to try a patch cable to get another foot on it. Someone said its ohms are related to length of cable. But, measured a few cables and all are different lengths, so obviously there is some play with it.

I first thought about something like this at shallow workings on Newell creek. At Newell, i cant quite reach the bottom, but can now. i should be able to do any shallow gold field we have from the surface safely (oh&s) and not have to lean over a the trench or shaft as much to get to the bottom. And, have a massive swing pattern in open areas. Stand on the spot and turn around.. lol

It was $40 delivered directly from coiltek. The only problem with fitting to the xterra coils is the connector is slightly oversized and needs 80 thou skimmed off to fit. Its also got a much thicker fiberglass shaft than a standard minelab shaft so a bit heavier. But, feels lots stronger. so not a bad compromise i guess. I may have to swap out the long shaft for carbon fibre later on if it gets too heavy. At least now i know lengths and diameters to work off i guess. Once i find a target i just take out the 2 middle sections out and will have a 3 foot 2 inch detector to get in sideways down the hole to pinpoint. It should cover most events in the field and be of great assistance looking for gold up high as well.

Fox

Post by Fox » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:07 am

Looks like an awesome setup there Phil. It will give you a definite advantage over the old timers, who had to cart their wash some distance to process it and due to patchy distribution of the coarse gold may have missed nuggets or even pockets of nuggets by inches.The run of gold in the wash layers was often fairly narrow and sinking shafts down to it and finding payable gold was a matter of luck in many instances.
Reckon you will need a rope ladder to get down and retrieve your targets. Failing that, we may be able to enlist the services of a couple of big strong blokes to hold onto your ankles and lower you down. :lol:
And in answer to your question, Burbury, I don't think Ron will be able to make it this time as he's been very busy moving house.
Looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend.

Cheers, Fox

steely

Post by steely » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:31 am

Hi guys, gonna be great to meet u all .
This will be a real learning curve for me.
Thanks fox for making it happen.
Cheers see u all tomorrow morning.

Philski

Post by Philski » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Fox and all

It should be an awesome weekend. The weather is settling already!

I have a rope ladder, rope and bucket! Thats all im hoping for is a small nugget or 2 in the wall of the shaft or on the floor would be awesome.

have a great day
Phillip

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Packed and ready to head north ! snow all over the place down south so i hope it's better up your way ? will be leaving Hobart early , if not at meeting point on time can someone give me a buzz please on 0417100666. ,i'm guessing there will be a heavy frost and ice on the way .
CHEERS .

Philski

Post by Philski » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 am

HI all

i am going to miss Saturday i think. Had a 13 hour day at work today and bugger all sleep last night studying till silly o'clock and i still have more to do, exam time and i really want to do well this semester. And, Darrel called from Turners beach tonight. And, we can both drive though on Sunday morning. And its going to be a beautiful day tomorrow for you all. So thats awesome. Take care all. Drive safe, and i hope you all find something to take home.

night
Phillip

alwayslookin

Post by alwayslookin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Had a great day yesterday at Back Creek, many thanks to Fox for organizing the trip and for all the info on the mining history. And thanks to the lease holder for letting us on the property. I used my 21 year old Whites Goldmaster 2 and after finding a few nails and 3 very small shotgun pellets I managed to find my first Tassie nugget, a nice little .5 gram piece shaped like Australia. Will try to get a picture up when I figure out how. It was good to meet everyone and I hope we can get out again in the near future. :D Tim

alwayslookin

Post by alwayslookin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Here is my Back Creek nugget. Hope this picture comes out.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.