Metal Detecting weekend at Back Creek

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

steely

Re: Metal Detecting weekend at Back Creek

Postby steely » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Great experience this last 2days ( thanks fox ) and good to meet all u
Other guys at last and thanks burbury for the tips.
Looking forward to next time. Kind regards Steely.

John

Postby John » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Saw your nugget on Saturday Tim,nice find!! looks even more impressive alongside the $2 coin! A great weekend had by all,look forward to more of the same.Good to finally put a face to some of the names on the forum, and meet you all in person.
Many thanks to Fox for putting up with a barrage of questions on the history of Back creek,on metal detectors,his tips on where to detect,where to pan, and for sharing his time and experience with everyone.Once again much appreciated.

John

titley26

Postby titley26 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:35 am

Great looking nugget there, I got roped in to working the weekend so didnt make it unfortunately ( Hopefully next time ). I wonder if we can organise a map of the back creek area where people can go without going on private property or someones lease for in between these trips. I know theres some pretty good areas just on the side of the road as i picked up a 0.5 gram couple years back.

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:03 pm

backcreek.png
back creek goldfield
backcreek.png (568.05 KiB) Viewed 2125 times

The areas in red are the roads and houses.
The only area open is approx 250 meters up from the cross roads. Then 200 meters is open ground left - right of the road and 200 meters up hill. given 20+ meters for leeway. These are grid reference estimates only.

This map is from Broadhurst http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominf ... /GSB42.pdf
The area is mixed State forest / Crown land. There is one private block to the north west of the open area on the left hand side of the road.

However, the cardigan lead and blackmans lead. (the original Back Creek Lead) are merged in other maps and the cardigan is shown as bigger. The blue squares are the open areas.

MRT update tenement maps daily.
mrt-backcreek-goldfield.png
mrt-backcreek-goldfield.png (252.79 KiB) Viewed 2125 times

http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/Viewer/Exposu ... t&reload=1

Edit.. found it
A summary of the Beaconsfield, .jpg
A summary of the Beaconsfield, .jpg (52.93 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

M. P. McClenaghan (for MRT) (1993) A summary of the Beaconsfield, Lefroy, Back Creek
and Gladstone goldfields

titley26

Postby titley26 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Thats awesome, very informative, im sure lots of people can use this and have a poke around and not get in to trouble lol
cheers

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:01 pm

WOW what a great day had on Sunday ,fantastic to finally put a face to the forum members names ,its nice to be doing my faveret hobby with like minded guys ,all whome i met it was a pleasure to be on the field with ,weather was good ,company was great , i ended up with three small nuggets total weight of .9 gramms ,would take a picture of them but wouldent know how to enter it here, thanks phillip for coming to my place and joining me on the trip there and finally thanks to fox for the invite ,your knowlage and understanding of the areas are outstanding.dazza

Burbury

Postby Burbury » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Like to say thanks to everyone for the trip to back creek last weekend , particular thanks to Ron for access and Fox for the arranging the excursion and the history that came with it. it was great to put faces to the forum members there and hopefully meet more of you soon . fantastic to spend time with like-minded prospectors and share some experiences past and present ! seen some nice nuggets including a couple from the weekend , great stuff !! also thanks heaps Phil for the barrage of information you are constantly loading on the site , it is so informative and relevent to our cause , can't thank you enough . look forward in anticipation to the next outing and hope i am in position to attend . thanks again everyone involved.
Cheers .

Fox

Postby Fox » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks all those who turned up last weekend. It was great to meet you all and share the experience with like minded people with a passion for the outdoors and gold prospecting. Good to see that the old VLF detectors can still hold their own against the newer Pulse Induction machines in the hunt for those highly elusive bits of yellow metal.
I will soon be off to the mainland for a few weeks but will endeavour to organise another detecting / gold panning trip later in the year.
Kind regards, Fox

travelergold

Postby travelergold » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi fox, if ok, can you let us know when you may be organising another trip out there. Cheers travelergold

Fox

Postby Fox » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi travelergold. Will be away for several weeks but hope to organise another prospecting trip for later in the year. Will post details at least a couple of weeks beforehand.
Cheers, Fox.