Paradise Creek / River Feb 8-10

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

mfdes

Paradise Creek / River Feb 8-10

Post by mfdes » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:02 am

Hey everyone, I'm planning to walk my new SDC 2300 to Paradise River at the Paradise Creek junction in a couple of weeks, via the Whaleback Ridge track that leaves from Pieman Road east of the dam. Has anyone been that way before? Is it even worthwhile? Should I stick to panning or my recon sluice instead?

Cheers,

Miguel

Dazza

Re: Paradise Creek / River Feb 8-10

Post by Dazza » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi mfdes , not sure we we you mean by the dam off the pieman road , I know that area reasonably well , been to a few areas around there , but you have lost me ,can you give me more info , dazza.

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Dazza,

If you use Google Earth to follow the Pieman Road from the dam, east towards Tullah, on the north side of the lake, you will see a 4WD track that heads northwest at -41.717820°, 145.231813°, which is about 8 km ENE of the dam. This was cut by the mining companies and gives access to the junction of Paradise Creek and Tandy Creek. Only about 1 km further down the creek to Paradise River from where the track ends.
The track looks clear on recent satellite pictures and by all reports was recently extended right down to the creek.
I've highlighted the track in this picture.
The area is currently out of tenement after Venture Minerals / Bass Metals relinquished that part of the licence.

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi mfdes, whey out of my league , sorry but never been anywhere around that part , I thought it might have been in from the savage somewhere , from there i am familiar with the areas , if you can get in there I recon it would be defiantly worth a look .

Philski

Post by Philski » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:33 am

HI
i would love to get down there one day.

ive tried a couple of times and not made it. weather mostly.. and know a few others that did make it and got nothing. And others that love it..

The road in is under the powerlines once the plains open up. and about 3-4km in. It can be boggy in spots. The wind roars though there too. Kane has been in there a few times and Richard Wolf thinks its tops down that way.

Richard Wolf got 7 ounces! in some old terrace material down that way. one hole with a gold pan. He loves the area because the dam road is post depression so much virgin ground still exists.

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks Phil,

I've read some reports of people finding zilch. Anyway I'll have a look around and see how I do. It's really more of a recon trip at this stage: 1 day in, perhaps with some fossicking, a full day there, then 1 day out.

Miguel.

wood

Post by wood » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:31 am

went down there bout 6 month ago u can call me if u like on 0400623451 cheers andrew not good on computer

acfish

Post by acfish » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:39 am

Went in last year,
Long walk, steep decent down to creek.
If i was over that way again, i would take a boat upto Nancy, Lucy creek or paradise and walk up.
Wait till we get a good dry spell so creeks are as low as possible.
cheers,
Andrew

Fox

Post by Fox » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:32 am

Hi everyone, I got my vehicle all the way in last year when the weather and track was dry. Conditions now are fairly similar and the weather prognosis looks good, so I reckon we would stand a pretty good chance of getting it in there again without too much drama. It would save a 2 hour walk each way packing in prospecting gear, supplies and camping gear and free up a bit more time for serious prospecting.
I should be free that weekend, Miguel, so consider me in. If anyone else wants to come along, I'm happy to cart you and your gear in there. There's plenty of space in the back of the old Landy.
It's not often we get such a window of opportunity in this part of the West Coast with a lengthy run of fine weather and low river levels, so if you're thinking of doing it, now's the time.

Cheers, Fox :)

Philski

Post by Philski » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:28 pm

HI all

I still have a whole week to get reports on the area and mapping in order. Paradise river and Paradise Creek between Tandys gets a few mentions of course gold and people doing well there. Wash 10-15 foot deep.. that sort of thing.

The last trip was great fun.. i met some wonderful people and i think all up we had a successful trip so hopefully more people get involved and have another great time again. I think everyone benefits from the shared experience and added safety of having people about in the same area.

have a fantastic week and see you next weekend.
Phillip