Paradise Creek / River Feb 8-10

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

Dazza

Re: Paradise Creek / River Feb 8-10

Post by Dazza » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Wow, seems every time you guys have a good trip away I'm crayfishing down the east coast with the family, having a fresh cray & a cold beer, taking advantage of this summer, sorry I won't be able to join you lot but maybe next time have a great trip & stay safe , dazza.

Philski

Post by Philski » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 am

Hey Darren, that sounds like an awesome way to spend the weekend, i hope you get great weather and lots of crays.

Sorry i missed you last week too Miguel. By a day it was. i almost froze the night before and would have had to go straight to work otherwise.

Mr Julen found a 7 oz Gold nugget South of Lucy Spur in the Eighties with a VLF detector. imagine finding a nugget like that today.. 200+ grams. He knows so much about our mining history and people and places. There is gold there and some rather big bits by the sound of it.

Burbury

Post by Burbury » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi all , enjoyed the recent trip to Browns plains with you guys and i must say what a good bunch of blokes we are ! i would surely like to be aboard , however i have a date with a KINGFISH this coming weekend so will have to pass. wish everyone a safe and very prosperous trip and look forward to some Nuggety Pics eh.
Cheers and good luck
Burbury.

ron

Post by ron » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Miguel

I sent you an email last week about heading up from Hobart to join in, to date no response. If possible could you let me know if I can join you (room permitting).

Cheers
Ron

ron

Post by ron » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi Fox,

could I make a pencil booking for the drive into the camp.
Unfortunately I can't find any contact details for Miguel or you so I can't contact you guys directly. If I can't get a ride with Miguel (from Hobart) I will drive up myself but I would like to meet you but where is best to leave the ute for the 3 days? I'm in your hands here so I hope you can help out.
Just another thing... does everyone take a generator, chainsaw, bbq, etc?

cheers
Ron

Philski

Post by Philski » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi Ron i can take a chainsaw and fuel etc, if you need one.

I has a remarkable day again, i spent the day talking to Hans Julen and hope to do an interview with him directly. He is 85 now and is still sharp as a tack and a wealth of knowledge on West coast mining and prospecting . And he was quite successful in his day. He even sent me a copy of his new book!
Hans found a stack of gold in the early 1980's The biggest was in "********" creek. So hopefully the little bit of inside knowledge will help.

have a wonderful day all
Phillip

Im coming thought from sheffield if that helps anyone.

Fox

Post by Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:00 am

Hi, Ron and everyone,
Miguel is currently working near Corinna and has been out of phone range for the past week.
I plan to head down there on Friday to catch up with him. Will stay near Corinna for the night, then head to the Pieman dam, which would be a good meeting point for everyone, say at 10am? Vehicles can be left a short way into the track to P Ck and should be safe out of sight of the main road. I generally travel light with just a swag, tarp, esky, portable stove and folding camp chair etc. Don't generally bother with generators, but will have a small chainsaw along in case of fallen trees over the track.
Any questions or concerns, I can be contacted on 0438064638.

Cheers, Fox

ron

Post by ron » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi Phil & Fox for your reply.

At least I now have a mobile number which is a good start (range permitting). These contact numbers are rarer than gold itself so it seems.

Could I just have a further clarification please, that the meeting date is Sunday 8th Feb, meeting time 10:00am at the Pieman Dam?

Are the troops using md's and/or pans & sluices?

Cheers
Ron

Fox

Post by Fox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Hi Ron, I have spoken to both Miguel and Phil today and it looks like we will meet at Pieman Dam 10am on Sunday 8th Feb. Looking forward to seeing you there.Will take in Metal detectors and do some panning too.

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi everyone, as Fox said I've been in Corinna for work for the last two weeks. Anyway it looks like we have a few coming. I look forward to meeting you guys at Pieman Dam on Sunday. Ron, if I don't see you there, I'll write when I get back to civilisation.