Queenstown area - The nuggets are flowing.

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Re: Queenstown area - The nuggets are flowing.

Postby Philski » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:05 am

I got asked to stay in Queenstown this week and its actually closer to home down here than Weldborough and have till 5pm every day to prospect my head off in some of the most stunning country i have ever seen. Free food and board and good money and Ive been hitting the area pretty hard around madam howards and covering a lot of open ground on the way in to Diamond hill and the 2 gold fields south of there. I found some coins! in the middle of the bush yesterday, Barite, and so many relics and bullets but sfa gold. Not many people have ever detected in the area im in at least and most of the bottle tops and rubbish stop at the road. so pretty clean swinging and very easy walking. Im about 2km away from the first field (Pearl Creek) but worth looking on the fringe first as i work my way in i think.
[url]
https://goo.gl/maps/w34LC[/url]

There is a straight fault under pearl creek and the area produced a fair bit of gold in its day. The kink in the river before it enters the Yolande could have been caused by the Henty fault directly to the north so hoping to poke about in that area for a while.

I also started laying gold nuggets around Queenstown the week for people to find and had a look yesterday and none had been found at all and they stand out like dogs bits to me. I can see one from 10 meters away glistening in the sun in one of the most visited tourist spots in town! amazing.. I will do a mystery gold hunt map if none get found soon. All are on the surface, so nobody needs to dig the joint up. And i watched the street sweeper man in action yesterday morning and i doubt he will be fast enough with his bristly broom to even move them.

Great to meet up with you there too.

Philski

Free Gold Nuggets in Queenstown Tasmania

Postby Philski » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:29 am

Several of the gold nuggets i planted around Queenstown have gone already. I dont know who managed to find them. But, a big and well deserved congratulations to them. Some where really hard for me to see. And i planted them.. Quite a few people in town know about it now too. So i imagine a local got them. And that's great.

i have another Oz or so to scatter about this week. as you do. I will put a few in easy spots and a few in hard to get to bits. Still be able to see them. They are all sun bakers.

Free Gold Nuggets - Queenstown Tasmania

Kezndaz

Postby Kezndaz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Nugget Bunny !
Impressed that you have a couple of ounces to spread about
Can you hurl some at the Huon valley
But seriously though it's delayed justice for Queenstown
Should be one of the wealthiest towns in Oz
But somehow all the money went somewhere else, probably Sussex.
Heading out to Badger creek ( got a bit of a mud map to here and Harvey's) next week if any are keen... to get lost
Kez n Daz

Philski

Postby Philski » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:27 pm

Awesome, i am for sure. Harveys im looking at because its under exploration release area (ERA) at the moment and you may not get the chance to do it legally for years to come. Halls Gorings etc are also close by. and access is pretty straight forward from either Strahan Rd or Bradshaws.

Badgers Creek sounds awesome too.

have a great day
Phillip

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:26 am

HI all

Queenstown has 3 ERA's at the moment, Lake Margaret, Madam Howards and Halls Creek / Harvey Creek areas..Its a 2 month window to prospect in the view of one of the worlds great mines.

The other opportunities are up at the airport. Gold to 1.5 grams from a small area and nobody has a lease on it. ....

taurusjustin

Postby taurusjustin » Sun May 03, 2015 12:50 am

Hi philski did u skater all them nuggets around queeny and did you make that treasure map ? I'd love to take my 3 children on a true treasure hunt in Tasmania. Queeny is a gem of a place its a pitty not as many people move there. Justin

Philski

Postby Philski » Sun May 03, 2015 1:39 am

Hi Justin

Yes i did scatter a lot around Queenstown, Its about trying to help the town and its people and the whole west coast, if i can. And many have been found and more where given away today in the NE of the state. however after today getting a virtual reaming . and i guess me personally being made a case of. Of how bad small scale prospectors are by someone that should know better at MRT over a 1.3 gram nugget! Found on an existing licensed tenement, with permissions, and a current Tasmanian prospecting licence, with no royalties attached, in a tail race of all places.

If im allowed to give it way? im honestly not sure anymore. Royal metals in this dark aged state are obviously a touchy subject. What would happen if someone found one? are the liable to acquire a prospecting licence? It used to, back in the 17th century. if the value of gold was worth less than the cost to refine it, you didn't. it was yours. im pretty sure that law would still have a modern equivalence.

even without me, gold was really found on the streets of Queenstown. With a small gold nugget (1.5 pennyweight = 2.25 gram) found in Crotty street, and elsewhere in town. Some stubstantial nuggets to 7 ounces where also found behind the ******* hotel
crotty-st-nuggets-queenstown-tasmania.png
crotty-st-nuggets-queenstown-tasmania.png (54.78 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

This nugget was found around the time the Renowned and most respected Tasmanian Government Geologist A, Montgomery had tendered his resignation (1896) to leave Tasmania and go and Work in New Zealand. Minister of Mines at the time was the the Honorable A. T. Pillinger so quite an historically important time

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 am

Awesome, sounds just like 'Paint your Wagon'! ;-)

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi mate,

A) Phil did not say he fossicked or prospected the galena. It can be legally bought from a zillion places, like the small mines around zeehan, and there is no restriction on trading it, so why invoke MRT?
B) Mineral specimens in small pieces often go for prices that are way, way higher than normal bulk prices for that ore. Picture serpentine with stichtite or rainbow chalcopyrite, or nice cassiterite specimens, for example. $20 for a nice 10 gram piece of high-silver galena with nice crystalline shapes doesn't seem excessive to me.
C) Why do you say MRT are cracking down on the rules? Can you give a specific example?
D) You keep saying this is rubbish, but nobody's forcing you to read it.

seanr0

Postby seanr0 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Benmick6 stick to facebook