NE next week

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

ron

NE next week

Postby ron » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi All,

Anyone interested in catching up at the Weld/Frome, Mangana or Mathinna Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday next week?

cheers
Ron 0457 457 028

I/we would also like to have a poke around the Lefroy, Nabowla& Golconda areas in lieu of the areas shown above. Unfortunately, we are unfamiliar with the region so any further comments and guidance are appreciated. Should anyone like to join us please holler.

Ron

Philski

Re: NE next week

Postby Philski » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:11 pm

HI Ron and all

Adam and i are having a day out in the NE next Saturday if anyone would like a days prospecting up that way.

have a great night
Phillip

Philski

Postby Philski » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi all

The place i want to go prospecting next weekend is under an hour from Launceston and has produced some decent sized gold. Its also been very lightly detected. And has never been written about in detail on this forum. The goldfield had a substantial sampling program close to it 30 odd years ago and they missed the actual field by a few hundred meters and got dot returns so people would no doubt read the MRT reports and think its barren. :shock: The area is open and flat' and only a hundred meters from the road. And has no mining leases or exploration tenements on it. it is on private property and permissions will need to be sought this week for access. Largest "recent" Gold nugget was a tad under 3 ounces. I know the person that found it and he no longer detects or prospects for gold because of his age. So is happy to share with people that do.

have a great day
Phillip

alwayslookin

Postby alwayslookin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Hello Phil,
That sure sounds good and I would love to have a scratch and swing around there. I am just north of Launceston so how would I / we go about getting permission ? And where would we meet ?

Cheers,
Tim

Philski

Postby Philski » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Hey Tim

Great. I was thinking of meeting up at https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-41.418 ... !1e3?hl=en
or perhaps McDonalds back towards town a km or so and grab some breakfast and coffee on the way.

The road side pull in, is in-between Invermay and Mobray on the East Tamar Highway and has enough room for half a dozen cars. We could car pool etc, I dont have much room in the ute for more than one person and will go home via the batman bridge but am happy to go back into Launceston too. And even bring the station wagon to save everyone petrol money. My 8 year old is busting to go prospecting so may bring him along too. He found more money than me detecting, last time we went out treasure hunting a week or so ago.

Or at the batman Bridge spaghetti junction if your further north or i can pick you and Adam and anyone else up at home in Launceston etc on the way though? I would not like to leave a car on the highway unattended is all. Its 35min from the center of town to the field. so quite close. And only a 2wd is needed.

Time: 9am met up is pretty sensible and gives a fair day at it. If we pull a few nuggets im more than happy to stay overnight or longer if needed.

There have been some substantial sized nuggets come out of the field and some recently. And being little known is about the best shot i can think of some someone new to find some decent sized gold the same day.

Hopefully Fox can get there too. i still have to call and ask,
Im back down the West coast tomorrow till Friday. But have my internet sorted out so can communicate that way.

have a great day
Phillip

Philski

Postby Philski » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:16 pm

This is a snippet of the field we are going to next weekend. from the late 1800's

(sic) some very rough and rich gold has been got and in the alluvial water courses running though the field, pointing to it having been shed"from the veins hidden in adjoining hills and ranges, of which, the field has yielded its fair share of gold.

The original reward owner followed this up over the next 30 years and hit a reef in the hills above the field. We cant go down 30 feet, nore blast, so alluvial it is. The wash level is 2 - 4 feet foot down and resting on Mathinna beds. However, it has been turned over and up by the old timers and later again by forestry and farming so detectable with any machine. All that is mentioned is course gold and the odd course specimen the further up the hill you go.

This is one of the hardest goldfields in Tasmania to find. Even THUREAU had trouble. but thanks to digital maps. a lot of persistence and a bit of luck. its on.

steely

Postby steely » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:40 pm

G,DAY PHIL, I'D LOVE TO TAG ALONG & BRING MY 9Y OLD GRANDSON . I CAN MEET UP AT MACCAS OR AT MAP REFERENCE ( ROAD SIDE ) . WHAT TIME?. IF ANYONE WANTS
A RIDE I CAN FIT ONE. CHEERS, BILLY.

Philski

Postby Philski » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi Steely, that sounds great. McDonalds it is, if that's okay with everyone else. I will try and get there about 8:30'am so should have time to get some breakfast and stretch legs etc. Chris my son is a wonderful little person and having someone around his own age will be great for him too. Young eyes and enthusiasm. its a very safe area for them to walk about too, no major forested areas and near impossible to get lost., but may have a shallow shaft or 2.
https://goo.gl/maps/ZUJhx

There is a reasonable chance of rain in the North of the State on Saturday according to BOM's 7 day forecast. I'm happy to flog about in a bit of drizzle etc. but lots of rain isnt much fun. So may have to see what the weather forecast looks like on Friday to get a better idea. Hopefully the good weather coming up holds or it pushes South of us on the day.

have a great night
Phillip.

Resto

Postby Resto » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Sound good Phil, i cam meet at maccas 830-9. Im happy to drive out to the field.
Cheers Adam

alwayslookin

Postby alwayslookin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 am

Hello Phil, 8:30 at the Invermay Maccas sounds good. I'll bring a rope to drag those nuggets out ! See you guys on sat.

Tim